HARRY DECKER is treasurer and manager of the Decker Realty Company, an organization that has carried out an
extensive program in the building of homes and the development of important sections on the south side of Cleveland
in recent years. Mr. Decker for over thirty years was an active merchant, and has been in many ways one of the
most influential citizens in that part of Cleveland.
He was born at Cleveland, February 14, 1864, son of Benjamin and Adrianna Decker. His parents were born in Holland,
his father in 1833 and his mother in 1839. Soon after their marriage they came to the United States and located
at Cleveland. Benjamin Decker in 1864 bought land on what is now Seventy first Street and Decker Avenue, East Cleveland
He built a home there, and for a number of years operated a market garden and was an expert in this line of productive
labor. Part of his land was laid out into lots and Decker Avenue was named by him. The parents remained in this
locality, with the city growing up around them, all the rest of their lives. The father died in 1907 and the mother
in 1912. All their children were born in Cleveland and all are still residents of the city: Cora, wife of John
Page; John, Harry, Jacob and James, who were twins, and Jennie, wife of Harvey Schwin. The father and mother were
both active members of the Methodist Evangelical Church.
Harry Decker while attending public school helped his father in the market garden, and in 1882, at the age of eighteen,
became clerk in a dry goods store. After five years of close attention to his work and a broadening experience
and knowledge, he opened a small store of his own in 1887 on Pearl Street, now West Twenty fifth. With succeeding
years he came into the possession of a large and valuable trade, and for thirty years was one of the leading merchants
of the south side. Mr. Decker sold out his dry goods business in 1917, and then became one of the organizers of
the Decker Realty Company, dealers in real estate, contractors and home builders on the west side and at Lakewood.
Here the company has erected about fifty homes during the last three years.
Mr. Decker was one of the organizers of what is now the Pearl Street Savings & Trust Company. Since this organization
for a period of thirty five years he has been a member of its board of directors. He was one of the organizers
of the Emil Spang Baking Company, of which he was vice president and treasurer, and was one of the organizers of
the Marvel Amusement Company on West Twenty fifth Street, served as president seven years and is still one of its
largest stockholders. Mr. Decker is a popular member of Laurel Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and Pearl Lodge,
Knights of Pythias
He married Miss Eva Weihl, a native of Cleveland and daughter of the late Valentine Weihi. Mr. and Mrs. Decker
have five daughters: Elsie H., wife of Herman F. Guentzler, connected with the United Bank of Cleveland, and they
have one son, Robert; Evelyn, wife of Edward W. Graebner, a Cleveland dentist, and they have a son, Paul; Dorothy,
wife of Carl Starck of Cleveland; Palmetta, wife of Harry Kennedy, a salesman in Cleveland; and Miss Ruth, at home.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium