WELDON MOWER DAVIS was born on the south side of Cleveland, has lived there all his life, and has found increasing
scope for his business talents and his public spirit as a citizen and community worker.
He was born in Brooklyn Village, now part of the City of Cleveland, on June 30, 1867. His father, the late Moses
S. Davis, was born at Frome in Lancastershire, England, August 8, 1828, the son of Robert and Sarah Davis. Robert
Davis and wife were natives of Wales. From Wales they removed to Lancastershire, England, and subsequently came
to America and after a period of residence at Toronto, Canada, settled permanently in Brooklyn Village, Ohio. Robert
Davis was a mason contractor, and followed that business in and around Cleveland for a number of years. Moses S.
Davis was only a boy when his parents settled in Brooklyn Village. He grew up there, learned the trade of carpenter,
and for upwards of half a century was one of the prominent contractors in that vicinity. He died April 12, 1898.
He was a member of what is now the Brooklyn Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. Moses Davis married Ellen M. Foster,
who was born in Brooklyn Township in 1838 and died April 23, 1921. She was a sister of Leonard G. Foster, a well
known Cleveland citizen whose career is given elsewhere. Moses S. Davis and wife had two sons, Lewis and Weldon.
During his boyhood, Weldon Mower Davis attended the Dennison Grammar and High School, and his first business employment
was as clerk with the old firm of Palmer Brothers Company, wholesale grocers' sundries. He made himself very valuable
to this firm, and in the course of a few years was admitted to membership as a director of the company. He handled
a large part of the city sales work for the firm. When the Palmer Brothers' business was sold Mr. Davis went with
the wholesale grocery house of the Babcock, Hurd Company and for a number of years has been on the city sales force
of this company.
Along with business he has participated in civic and church affairs. He was formerly a member of the Brooklyn Village
school board and was one of the school commissioners when the village was annexed to the city. Fraternally he is
affiliated with Brooklyn Lodge Free and Accepted Masons, Oriental Commandery of Knights Templar, Al Koran Temple
of the Mystic Shrine, and is a member of Riverside Lodge Knights of Pythias.
October 23, 1895, he married Miss Mattie R. Chase. She was born in Bainbridge, Geauga County, Ohio, and is a sister
of W. W. Chase, of whom a separate sketch appears elsewhere, and the Rev. G. D. Chase, D. D., of the Michigan Methodist
Episcopal Conference. Mrs. Davis is a member of the Readers Club, the Brooklyn Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star,
the Woman's Christian. Temperance Union and Brooklyn Memorial Methodist Church.
Mr. and Mrs. Davis have two sons. At the time of the World war both were too young for the draft, and they volunteered
their services. The older, Robert C., was educated in the city schools, prepared for college in the Chamberlain
Military School at. Randolph, New York, and attended Western Reserve University. As a volunteer he entered the
Naval Officers' Training School and was on duty until after the armistice, but did not get overseas. He is now
connected with the Canfield Oil Company at Cleveland. The younger son, Gordon B., is a graduate of the Lincoln
High School, and completed his professional preparations by graduating from the dental department of Western Reserve
University, and is now practicing in his home city. He was in the Students' Army Training Corps of Western Reserve
University until the signing of the armistice.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium