CLEAVELAND R. CROSS, member of the law firm of Wilkin, Cross & Daoust, has been engaged in practice at Cleveland
for fifteen years, and in that time has identified himself actively with an unusual program of interests, professional,
business, civic and social.
Mr. Cross was born May 19, 1882, in the City of Denver, Colorado, son of Rev. Roselle Theodore and Emma (Bridgman)
Cross. Doctor Cross came f tom New York State to Oberlin College in the '60s, graduated from both the college and
the theological school and continued with Oberlin several years as principal of the academy. After entering the
ministry he became pastor of First Congregational Church of Colorado Springs, subsequently filled other pulpits,
and in 1910 returned to Ohio. In order that he might continue active work in the ministry he accepted the pastorate
of the Twinsburg Congregational Church in Cuyahoga County, and is now pastor emeritus of that church. Emma Bridgman,
his wife, who died at the home of her son, Cleaveland R., in 1910, was born at North Adams, Massachusetts, and
is a descendant of the Bridgman and Daggett families, both distinguished lines in New England genealogy. The old
Daggett home at Pawtucket, Rhode Island, is now the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum. Reverend and Mrs.
Cross were the parents of five 'children, the two oldest, Charles and Theodore, dying in infancy, while the survivors
are: Leora, a graduate of Oberlin College and the Pratt Library School of Brooklyn, now librarian at West High
School in Cleveland; Rev. Judson L., a graduate of Colorado College and of Yale Divinity School, now pastor of
Rollstone Congregational Church at Fitchburg, Massachusetts, and Cleaveland R. Cross.
Cleaveland R. Cross spent his boyhood in various cities where his father was in the ministry, and attended grammar
schools at Denver, at Minneapolis, the high school at York, Nebraska, and graduated from Oberlin College in 1903.
He spent half a year succeeding that in special study at Washington, D. C., and in post graduate work in economics
at the University of Wisconsin. In 1907 he graduated from the Law School of Western Reserve University. While at
Western Reserve Mr. Cross tutored in the university school. In college he was active in inter collegiate debating
and served as president of the Ohio Inter Collegiate Debating Association.
Upon his admission to the Ohio bar in 1907 he became a law clerk in the office of J. D. Fackler of Cleveland, and
subsequently was associated in practice with the firm Hitchcock, Morgan & Fackler. In 1915 he became a member
of the firm Wilkin, Cross & Daoust, a firm of the very highest standing in Cleveland law circles.
His extensive law business accounts for only a portion of his interests and activities. During the World war he
was chairman of the Legal Advisory Board of District No. 1, a district embracing all of Cuyahoga County outside
of the City of Cleveland west of the river. He was also Lakewood chairman of several liberty bond campaigns. In
politics he has interested himself primarily for the cause of good government. During the preconvention campaign
of 1920 he was a member of the Leonard Wood Executive County Committee, and since that year has been a member of
the County Executive Committee, and for 1920-21 was chairman of the Lakewood Republican Club. He was an alternate
delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1920. He is president of the Lakewood Public Hospital, a member
of the Community Fund Council and a trustee of the Cleveland Welfare Federation. A loyal alumnus of Oberlin, he
was made a member of the special committee appointed in 1920 by the college alumni to reorganize the national alumni
body and has since been first vice president and president of the new organization. He is a member of the Cuyahoga
County, Ohio State and American Bar associations. He also belongs to the John Hay Chapter of the Phi Alpha Delta
law fraternity, and is a member of the Cleveland and Lakewood Chamber of Commerce and the West Side Chamber of
Mr. Cross helped organize and is president of the Colonial Savings & Loan Company of Lakewood, and in 1921
was president of the Cuyahoga County Building & Loan League. He is also a member of the executive committee
of the Ohio State Association of Savings and Loan. Companies. He is a director of the Land Title Abstract and Trust
Company, and is an officer in several other corporations.
During the year 1923 Mr. Cross was president of the Cleveland Municipal Research Bureau and for several years has
been a member of the Lakewood Board of Education and chairman of its finance committee. From these connections
he has become interested in questions of taxation and public finance and has been active in the support of various
measures to secure adequate school revenues and reform in the Ohio system of taxation. He is also chairman of the
taxation committee of the Cleveland Citizens' League.
November 11, 1908, Mr. Cross married Miss Ruth Savage, daughter of Frederick J. and Caroline M. Savage of Moline,
Illinois. They have a son and a daughter, Robert Alden, born May 14, 1914; and Caroline Murdock. born December
Mr. and Mrs. Cross are members of the Lakewood Congregational Church He is a member of the board of trustees and
was chairman of that board and also the building committee during the erection of what is said to be one of the
most beautiful church edifices in the state. His club membership comprises the University, Union, City, Clifton
and Westwood Country, and he is also a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, of Lakewood Lodge No. 601,
Free and Accepted Masons, Cunningham Chapter No. 187, Royal Arch Masons, and Lakewood Lodge of Elks.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium