LOUIS BLACK was a resident of Cleveland from his boyhood until the time of his death, and gained precedence
as one of the representative business men and honored and influential citizens of the Ohio metropolis.
Colonel Black, as he was familiarly known, was born in Hungary, December 24, 1844, and in 1854 his parents established
their residence in Cleveland, this having been the first Hungarian family in Cleveland. The father, Morris Black,
was a sterling citizen who had much to do with promoting Hungarian immigration to Ohio, and he was one of the honored
citizens of Cleveland at the time of his death, in 1864. Louis Black was ten years old when the family home was
established in Cleveland, and here he received his youthful education. He was employed in a local mercantile establishment
at the time when, in 1864, he enlisted for service in the Civil war, as a private in Company A, One Hundred Fiftieth
Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After the close of the war he resumed his association with business affairs in Cleveland.
He became eventually the president of the Bailey Company, one of the most important mercantile concerns of the
city, with a large department store and establishments devoted to the wholesale and retail trade in dry goods and
house furnishings. In addition to being at the time of his death the president and treasurer of this company he
was president and treasurer of the Acme Realty and the Bailey Realty Company; vice president of the Building &
Investment Company and the Superior Savings & Trust Company; treasurer of the Bailey Young Company and the
Sincere Realty Company; vice president of the Tuscaloosa Cotton Company; and a director of the Central National
Bank, the Cleveland Jewish Hospital Association, the Cleveland Realization Company, the Champont Realty Company,
and the Acme Foundry Company.
Colonel Black was a most loyal and public spirited citizen, served as city fire director and as a member of the
city council, was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the local Rotary Club, held the rank of colonel in the
Second Regiment of Knights of Pythias, and served as president of the Hungarian Benevolent Association. He and
his wife celebrated in 1917 their golden wedding anniversary.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium