WILLIAM JACOB BECKER. This distinguished citizen has lived his entire life thus far in this city, and was born
in the old Becker home at 56 Mechanic Street (now 2100 West Thirty eighth Street), on July 25, 1865. He is the
son of John and Christina (Slaughter) Becker, both of whom were natives of Germany and crossed the Atlantic at
an early date. They were married in Cleveland, where they became acquainted, and promptly began their duties as
upright and industrious citizens.
While still in Germany John Becker learned the butcher's trade, and not long after beginning operations in Cleveland
he engaged in the wholesale butchering business. At this he was quite successful, and at the same time built up
a desirable reputation. In 1875, hoping to expand his opportunities, he entered the moving and trucking business,
becoming the founder and owner of the large concern now owned and operated by his son William. In early times the
establishment was comparatively small, the entire outfit comprising only three head of horses and the equipment
which they could haul. However, steadily and quite rapidly the business increased and at all times proved a profitable
undertaking. John Becker, the father, passed away in 1898, at the age of sixty eight years; his widow survived
him until 1912, dying at the age of seventy one years. Both were eminent and upright citizens and were members
of the First Reformed Church.
William Jacob Becker, now one of the leading and conspicuous citizens of the West Side, and one of the widely known
and prominent business men of the city, was educated at the parochial and the public schools here, and at the age
of fifteen years began work for his father in the trucking business. In 1903 he took control of the entire business,
and ever since then has steadily improved his facilities to meet the demands of an up todate, modern and swiftly
growing city. He is now probably the leader of this important branch of business on the West Side, with eleven
auto trucks, doing exclusive trucking in the moving, packing and storage business at 2110 West Thirty eighth Street.
In addition to his important business enterprises he has distinguished himself in other notable social and economic
movements. For years he has been an active member of the Cleveland Chamber of Industry, has twice been a member
of its board of directors, and has often served on various important committees. He is a member of Halcyon Lodge
No. 498, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Thatcher Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Forest City Council, Forest City
Commandery No. 40, Knights Templar; Lake Erie Consistory, Valley of Cleveland, Scottish Rite, thirtysecond degree;
Al Koran Temple. Mystic Shrine; and Al Sirat Grotto. He is also a member of the Cleveland Yacht Club, the Lakewood
Country Club and the First Reformed Church, of which latter he was a former member of the executive committee.
On the 6th of July, 1893, Mr. Becker was united in marriage with Lydia M., daughter of George and Elizabeth Eichermiller,
both natives of Germany. Her birth occurred on Clark Avenue, South Side, May 20, 1867. Mr. Becker and wife have
two children: Viola, now a teacher in the public schools of the city, and Walter, a student at Dartmouth College.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium