DR. MAURICE LINSEL ALLEN, physician and surgeon, was born at Galion, Crawford County. Ohio, on the 6th of January,
1889, and is a son of Charles A. and Clara Elizabeth (Miller) Allen. Charles A. Allen was born at Paris, Illinois,
in the year 1851, a son of Benjamin Allen. a native of Kentucky, who settled on a small farm near Paris, Illinois,
as a pioneer of that section of the state, where he passed the remainder of his life. Charles A. Allen has long
been connected with railway service and is now assistant to the president of the Erie Railroad, Cleveland. Mrs.
Allen was born at Alton, Illinois, and is a daughter of the late John Miller.
Doctor Allen graduated from Galion High School in 1908, and from Starling Medical College, Doctor of Medicine,
in 1913. He entered service as an interne in Huron Road Hospital, Cleveland. In his two years' connection with
this hospital he gained valuable clinical experience, and upon severing his alliance with the institution, in 1915,
he engaged in the general practice of his profession in the "Five Points" district of Collinwood, where
he has found an excellent field for successful service and where he now controls a large general practice. In this
section his first office was at 962 East One Hundred and Fifty second Street, and his present well appointed offices
are at the corner of that street and Saint Clair Avenue, at No. 15201 Saint Clair Avenue. The Doctor is a member
of the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, the Cleveland Medical Library Association, the Ohio State Medical Society,
and the American Medical Association.
Doctor Allen subordinated all personal interests to enter patriotic service when the nation became involved in
the World war. In June, 1917, he enlisted in the Medical Officers Reserve Corps of the United States Army, and
on the 17th of the following month he received his commission as first lieutenant. In September of the same year
he was called to the City of Washington, D. C., and on the 1st of October, 1917, he sailed for England, where he
was assigned to duty at the Brook War Hospital, Woolwich. January 6; 1918, he embarked for France, and there he
was assigned to service in the Fifty fifth West Lancashire Field Hospital. Later he was attached to the Two Hundred
and Seventy sixth West Lancashire Brigade of the British Royal Field Artillery, with which unit he continued in
service until he sailed for the home port. On the 19th of February, 1919, he was commissioned captain, and on the
15th of the following month he embarked for the return voyage to the United States. At Camp Dix, New Jersey, he
received his honorable discharge April 1, 1919, and he then returned home and resumed the interrupted practice
of his profession. The Doctor received the British Military Cross, in recognition of gallantry during the German
attack on the British fronts at Le Preol, France, April 9, 1918. Doctor Allen is affiliated with the American Legion
and with the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
On the 21st of June, 1916, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Allen and Miss Carroll Macdonald, daughter of
Hugh and Hanna (Hilker) Macdonald, of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, and they have a daughter, Miriam, born July 13,
1920, and a son, John Macdonald, born December 28, 1923.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium