CHARLES ANDREW ALEXANDER, law practitioner and specialist in corporation law, has been in continuous practice
in this city since 1913, with the exception of the time he was serving his country as a soldier in the World war.
Mr. Alexander is a member of an old pioneer Western Reserve family of remote Scotch-Irish descent.
Charles Andrew Alexander was born on the old Alexander homestead in Bedford Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on
November 21, 1889, a son of John Clark and Rachel (Gibson) Alexander, and a grandson of Andrew and Elizabeth (Hope)
Alexander. Both grandparents were born in Pennsylvania, where the Scotch-Irish Alexanders settled in the seventeenth
century and the Scotch Hopes about the same time. It was the paternal grandfather, Andrew Alexander, who was the
adventurous pioneer of the family in the Western Reserve, coming from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1812,
when Indians were still numerous in this section. He found a tract of land that both pleased his fancy and suited
his purse, and soon was the owner of what has long been known as the Alexander homestead in Bedford Township, Cuyahoga
County, which property now lies on Alexander Road. He was a man of energy and enterprise, and not only cleared
and improved a fine property but built and operated one of the first grist mills on the old canal. Both he and
his wife died on their Bedford Township farm.
John Clark Alexander was born on his father's homestead, December 15, 1841, and died in the City of Cleveland March
10, 1922. He grew to manhood in Bedford Township, and for many years assisted his father in operating the Alexander
mill In 1891 he came to Cleveland and embarked in the real estate business, in which he was profitably interested
for a long period. He bought and sold large bodies of land during this time, and did a large amount of building
on his own properties, at one time owning much valuable realty here. In political life he was a staunch republican
and before coming to Cleveland had served many years in public capacities in Bedford Township. In 1895 he was elected
a member of the Board of County Commissioners of Cuyahoga County, and served out one full term but failing health
then caused him to resign. It was during his service as county commissioner that many substantial improvements
were made and worthy enterprises carried out, including the building of the Central Armory and the Brooklyn Bridge,
and because of his deep interest in the subject, progress was made in the good roads movement.
Mr. Alexander married Rachel Gibson, who was born at Gibsonia, a place so named for her family, February 22, 1851,
and died at Cleveland September 12, 1912, a daughter of Charles and Mary (Logue) Gibson. Two children were born
to them: Charles A. and Grace E. The latter is a student of architecture and interior decorating in New York City.
She spent two years in the Woman's College, Western Reserve University, and in 1910 was graduated from Monmouth
College, at Monmouth, Illinois.
The late John Clark Alexander was a member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, of the Old Settlers Association,
the Tippecanoe Club and the Cuyahoga Country Club. He was an official member of the First United Presbyterian Church
at Cleveland, and in every relation of life a man of personal worth and business integrity.
Charles A. Alexander was two years old when his parents moved to Cleveland, and thus he had excellent educational
opportunities through boyhood. In 1907 he entered Adelbert College, Western Reserve University, then during 1908-09
took a special course in Princeton University, returning then to Adelbert College, from which he received his degree
of Bachelor of Arts in 1911, and then entered the Law School of Western Reserve University, from which he was graduated
in 1913 with his degree of Bachelor of Laws, and in the same year was admitted to the Ohio bar, and later to the
United States District Court, Northern Division of Ohio.
Mr. Alexander entered upon the practice of law at Cleveland, in association with T. J. Moffett and M. A. Copeland,
and during the succeeding three years amply proved his professional ability and the soundness of his legal training.
In 1917, when the United States became involved in the World war, Mr. Alexander was selected for training at Fort
Benjamin Harrison and was commissioned a lieutenant in the Three Hundred and Thirty first Infantry, National Army.
When he returned from the army and again resumed active interest in his profession he became a member of the law
firm of Wilkin, Cross & Daoust, specializing in corporation law. He is a member of the Cleveland and Ohio Bar
associations, the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce, of a number of social organizations and of his old college Greek
letter fraternities, the Delta Kappa Epsilon and the Phi Delta Phi.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium