PHILOMENE E. ADMIRE, owner of the Metropolitan Business College of Cleveland, has been the source of the splendid
spirit and system that characterized this educational institution from its beginning. To a large extent she handled
all the matters of school technique and some of the management during the life of her husband, the late E. E. Admire,
who was administrative head. Since his death she has made the Metropolitan School greater than ever.
In 1920 she began the erection of the present College Building at the corner of Bridge Avenue and Fulton Road.
It is one of the finest commercial college buildings in Ohio. It was completed and occupied in June, 1921. The
building is a three story brick, with gymnasium in the basement, and with offices and class rooms dividing the
two floors. The building occupies ground space of 60x100 feet.
The greatest of all professions is education, but only those born with natural gifts for the work can excell and
achieve such results as has been credited to Mrs. Admire. She has been a teacher more or less continuously since
she was sixteen years of age. She was born near Paris, France, daughter of Theophile E. and Marguerite (Beaudin)
Herie. When she was two years old her parents came to America and settled near Ottawa, Canada. She graduated in
1885 from the Villa Maria Convent at Montreal. When she was sixteen her parents removed to Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
Her mother died in 1899 and her father in 1913. Of their twelve children, the first eight were born in France and
the other four in Canada.
Her first teaching was done in the St. Bernard School at Rockville, Connecticut, where she had charge of the French
Department. While in those duties she met and married Mr. Alexander A. Appleton, a relative of a noted New York
family of publishers. Their marriage was terminated fourteen months later by the death of Mr. Appleton. In the
meantime they had lived at Providence, Rhode Island. As a means of supporting herself and her infant son Mrs. Appleton
resumed teaching at Springfield, Massachusetts, and soon took up commercial instruction. As a young Woman she had
become an expert shorthand writer, and her work at different times won her high commendation as a court reporter.
However, her real field was teaching, and she has trained hundreds of young men and women to proficiency in the
commercial art and at the same time has exercised an invaluable and wholesome influence on their developing characters.
She was a teacher in the Bryant and Stratton Business College at Buffalo, and then in the Vories Business College
at Indianapolis. While there she became acquainted with Mr. E. E. Admire, and they were married at Ottawa, Canada,
December 23, 1900.
At the time of their marriage her personal abilities as a teacher had much to do with the success of several schools
operated by Mr. Admire. She taught in the Detroit School of Business, of which he was president until 1902. From
the beginning of the history of the Metropolitan Business College in 1904 Mrs. Admire had increasing responsibilities
in the management of that school and also of the Ohio Business College of Cleveland. Under her management and ownership
the Metropolitan Business College has had an average annual enrollment for several years of about six hundred pupils.
Her individual work has made her one of the prominent leaders in the field of commercial education in America,
and she has been active in various educational organizations. She is author of a system of touch typewriting. For
two consecutive years students of the Metropolitan Business College have won the typewriting contest given by the
Northeastern Teachers' Association. For twenty two years Mrs. Admire has been a member of the Federation of Teachers,
and has frequently delivered addresses before business college conventions. In December, 1920, she delivered an
address at the Gregg Shorthand Federation meeting in Cleveland.
Associated with her in the management of the business college is her son by her first marriage, Alexander A. Appleton.
Mr. Appleton was in service during the World war, with the One Hundred and Fifty eighth Depot Brigade Headquarters
at Camp Sherman, Ohio, and was made corporal and later promoted to sergeant major.
A History of Cuyahoga County
and the City of Cleveland
By: William R. Coates
The American Historical Society
Chicago and New York, 1924
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to G
Names H to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium