Seth Shaw, a member of an old and prominent county family to whom this section of the country is very largely
indebted for its present high state of cultivation and development, was born in Lafayette township, November 30,
1853, the son of Velzer and Margaret (Maple) Shaw. His paternal grandfather brought his family into this county
from New Jersey in 1833, and bought a large tract of what was then wild land, Veizer Shaw, the father of our subject,
was born in Orange county, New Jersey, May 4, 1824, and was therefore but nine years of age at the time. He was
reared in the midst of pioneer environments and as he grew to manhood the responsibilities of the place, to the
possession of which he afterward succeeded, were largely shifted to his shoulders. He wedded Margaret Maple, who
was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1825, and they became the parents of five children, of whom but two are now living,
namely: Henry, a resident of West Lafayette; and Seth, of this review. The mother died in 1900, while the father
survived her for a few years, his death occurringin 1904.
Seth Shaw received a common school education and began his career as an independent farmer at the early age of
eighteen years. The first land which he purchased consisted of one hundred and sixteen acres in Lafayette township,
which is now the property of his son Lee. Through good management, and aided by a fertile, productive soil, he
derived substantial benefits from his farming operations and gradually increased his holdings of farm land and
enlarged his income in proportion. Through investment and by inheritance he came into possession of city residence
property for rental purposes and later embarked in mercantile pursuits. Sound judgment and keen business ability
has characterized his various undertakings, so that he rates high in the mercantile agencies, and his connection
with an enterprise stamps it as being of a stable, substantial nature. In addition to his home place, which consists
of one hnndred and twenty one acres adjoining West Lafayette on the north, eleven acres of which he within the
corporation limits, Mr. Shaw also owns a farm of two hundred and forty acres in Oxford township and thirteen houses
and lots in Coshocton, including the Union Hotel on Main street, a building containing nineteen rooms. He is now
completing one of the handsomest homes in West Lafayette. It is being built of cement blocks, and covered with
cement shingles, a comparatively new innovation, in the construction of which. Mr. Shaw is demonstrating his faith
in one of his business ventures, which consists of a plant for the manufacture of cement building blocks and cement
shingles. He also owns ten thousand dollars worth of stock in the West Lafayette Manufacturing Company, which is
engaged in the manufacture of enameled ware, of which he was one of the organizers. He has always maintained his
home in West Lafayette, and regardless of his interests in other ventures has ever adhered to agricultural pursuits.
On the 16th of August, 1871, Mr. Shaw was united in marriage to Miss Nancy A. Hall, who was born near Parkersburg,
Virginia., October 5, 1852, the daughter of John H. and Judith (Ingraham) Hall. Both of her parents vere natives
of Virginia, where the father was born in 1821, and the mother five years later. They left their native state and
located in Coshocton county, where they spent the remainder of their lives. The mother died in 1889, while the
father survived her for five years, passing away in 1894 at the age of seventy three years. They were the parents
of ten children, of whom two are dead. Those surviving are: Elihu, a resident of Kansas; Nancy A., the wife of
our subject; Victoria, the wife of A. C. Dark, who lives in Oklahoma; John H., who lives in Union county, Ohio;
W. B. and Arthur L, both of whom reside in Lafayette township; Sarah J., the wife of .John Betham, of North Judson,
Indiana; and A. M., who resides in West Lafayette.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Shaw have been born nine children, six sons and three daughters, namely: Lucian, who was graduated
from the Ohio State University as civil engineer in 1904, married Miss Nellie Beyers and resides in West Lafayette.
Henrietta is the wife of Howard Lemon, superintendent of the county infirmary of Coshocton county. Lee O. is a
resident of Lafayette township. J. B. is a graduate of the Ohio State University, class of 1908, where he completed
the course as cyramical engineer and is now foreman in an enamel plant. He married Miss Maria Wild and now resides
in Boston, Massachusetts. Isaac H. is also a graduate of the Ohio State University, where he completed the course
as doctor of veterinary medicine in the class of 1907. He married Miss Carrie Burris and his home is in Sioux City,
Iowa. Francis E. and Clement are at home with their parents. Antoinette and Newton are deceased.
Mr. Shaw gives his political allegiance to the democracy and has served as township assessor for two terms. Both
he and his estimable wife are faithful and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which they
give their loyal support.
Centennial History of
Coshocton County, Ohio
By William J. Bahmer
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Coshocton County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium