Frank L. Wells of Wellsville, is a member of an old and honored pioneer family of Columbiana County whose annals
extend back to the early years of the 19th century. He was born in Wellsville and is the son of William G. and
Esther Ann (Leonard) Wells. His father, William G. Wells, now of Cleveland, is a native of Wellsville and the son
of Alexander and Esther (Kemble) Wells. Alexander Wells was born in Wellsville June 3, 1808, his father, William
Wells, being the founder of the City of Wellsville. Alexander Wells was a prosperous merchant in Wellsville for
many years and died in August, 1908. His son, William G. Wells, attended Allegheny College and the Cincinnati Law
School from which he was graduated in 1861. He engaged in the practice of his profession in Wellsville for a number
of years during which time he served as mayor of the city for two terms and was for many years a member of the
board of education. 1879 he was elected probate judge of Columbiana County and served on the bench for six years,
after which he practiced law for a number of years in Lisbon, the county seat. On December 24, 1863, William G.
Wells was married to Miss Esther Ann Leonard, the daughter of Thomas P. and Elizabeth Leonard. To them were born
five children: Frank L. Wells, the subject of this sketch; Esther E., and Ralph P., who live in Cleveland; and
two children who died in infancy.
Frank L. Wells received his early education in the public schools of Wellsville and Lisbon and entered Allegheny
College at Meadville, Pennsylvania, where he was graduated in 1886. In 1888 he was graduated from the Cincinnati
Law School, and in that year was admitted to the bar of the State of Ohio, and later was admitted to practice in
the Federal courts. He has served as city solicitor of Wellsville for two terms and for a number of years was president
of the local school board. He represented Columbiana and Jefferson counties on the state board of equalization,
and was for some time one of the state examiners of applicants for admission to the bar. He is vice president of
The Peoples Bank of Wellsville, and secretary of The Perpetual Savings & Loan Company, which he organized in
On June 22, 1887 Mr. Wells was united in marriage with Miss Nellie Jordan of Lisbon, the daughter of Colonel W.
J. and Emily (Craine) Jordan. Colonel Jordan served throughout the Civil War as a member of the 104th Regiment
of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and after the war became clerk of courts of Columbiana County and entered the practice
of law in Lisbon.
Mr. Wells is a Republican, a Rotarian, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was twice elected delegate
to the general conference of his church. Mrs. Wells is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Mr. Wells at the present time is engaged in the practice of his profession in Wellsville, being a member of the
firm of Wells & MacDonald, and devotes a large portion of his time to the management of The Perpetual Savings
& Loan Company, which is Wellsville's oldest and largest financial institution.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium