Frank J. Wehner, proprietor of the Ceramic Motor Company, ranks among the progressive and substantial business
men of East Liverpool. He was born at Beaver Falls, Pa., Nov. 11, 1883, and is the son of Peter and Anna (Scheel)
Peter Wehner was a native of Pittsburgh, as is his wife. He was a glass worker by trade, but in later life engaged
in the real estate and insurance business at Brackenridge, Pa. He served as tax collector for two terms and as
a member of the school board. He was a Republican and held membership in the Catholic Church. He died in 1915 and
is buried at Tarentum, Pa. His wife lives at Brackenridge. To Mr. and Mrs. Wehner the following children were born:
John A., lives in Toledo, Ohio; Eleanor, the widow of Eugene Barrett, lives at Freeport, Pa.; Anna, lives with
her mother; Dr. E. F., a physician and surgeon, lives at Clarksburg, W. Va.; Alphonz, lives at home; and Frank
J., the subject of this sketch.
After completing his schooling in the parochial schools of Natrona, Pa., Frank J. Wehner learned the machinist
trade. For a number of years he was employed in that capacity by the Allegheny Steel & Iron Company of Brackenridge,
Pa., and later worked in a hot mill for three years. In September, 1907, he came to East Liverpool and formed a
partnership with Edward Dean, and they operated a machine and automobile shop for several years. They became local
agents for the Ford and Buick automobiles and in 1912 the partnership was dissolved. Mr. Wehner then became associated
with Frank Swaney, who purchased Mr. Dean's interest, and this partnership continued until 1917, when Mr. Wehner
became sole owner of the business. He has had the agency for the Studebaker automobile since 1919 and his place
of business is known as the Ceramic Motor Company. Mr. Wehner has one of the most up to date garages in this section
and does expert repair work, and also handles a full line of accessories. Six people are in his employ and his
garage has a capacity for storage of 30 cars.
On Nov. 5, 1907, Mr. Wehner was united in marriage with Miss Helen May Wolford of Leechburg, Pa., the daughter
of William and Nora (Hill) Alford, residents of Tarentum, Pa.
Politically Mr. Wehner is a Republican, and he holds membership in the Elks, Rotary Club, and the East Liverpool
Country Club. He and his wife are well and favorably known in Columbiana County.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium