William W. Stroup is a member of a prominent pioneer family of Columbiana County, where he has spent his entire
life. He was born in Knox Township, April 20, 1866, and is the son of Eli and Lucinda (Weaver) Stroup.
Eli Stroup was born on the Stroup homestead in Knox Township, Cambria County, and his wife was also a native of
this township. He operated the farm for many years after his father's death and provided for his mother and brothers
and sisters. He later owned the place, which is among the attractive old homesteads of Cambria County. Mr. Stroup
accepted the call to the ministry in later life and became the pastor and elder of the Church of the Brethren at
Reading, in Knox Township, which position he filled until his death, in November, 1898. His widow lives in Knox
Township. To Mr. and Mrs. Stroup the following children were born: Allen J., operates the home place; Laura E.,
died at the age of 14 years; Sarah C., died in 1905, was the wife of C. V. Johnson; Vinnie B., married O. C. Halm,
lives at Homeworth; Mary A., married H. H. Sanor, lives at Homeworth; Odessa J., married Ira Kimes, lives at Homeworth;
Ada L., married A. L. Stoffer, lives at Homeworth; Leola May, married H. E. Stoffer, lives at Paris, Ohio; Nettie
V., married Arthur Johnson, and she died in March, 1923; and William W., the subject of this sketch.
William W. Stroup spent his boyhood on the farm and attended district school No. 6, Knox Township, as well as a
select school at Homeworth. He also attended Mt. Union College, where he took a commercial course. He received
his first teaching certificate when 16 years of age and two years later began teaching during the winter months
and farming in the summer season. Since 1904 he has devoted his time almost exclusively to teaching, being made
principal of the North Georgetown School in that year. In 1909 he was made principal of the first rural township
high school organized at this place and served there until 1914, when the new school code became effective, at
which time he was elected district superintendent of schools for District No. 1, of Columbiana County, which consisted
of Knox, West and Hanover townships. Later, Franklin, Wayne and Washington townships were added to the district.
Mr. Stroup continued in this work until 1921, when the districts were changed and he became an assistant superintendent
to the county superintendent of schools, Prof. J. W. Moore being county superintendent. In January, 1922, he was
compelled to give up the work on account of ill health. However, in the fall of that year his health improved considerably
and Mr. Stroup accepted the principalship of the Knox Township High School, which position he now fills.
Mr. Stroup planned the first rural route for the free delivery of mail from the Homeworth post office, and his
petition to the government inspector resulted in the rural route service being established in 1903, although at
the time he met with considerable opposition from the townspeople, who feared that rural mail service would be
a detriment to the town's business.
On June 4, 1891, Mr. Stroup was united in marriage with Miss Ida J. Stoffer, of Knox Township, the daughter of
Lewis J. and Amanda E. (Dice) Staffer, both deceased. Mr. Stoffer died March 12, 1916, and his wife died July 18,
1924. They were natives of Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Stroup were born two children: Earl W.,
who lives on the old Stroup homestead; and Nellie F., a graduate of Manchester Normal College, N. Manchester, Ind.
She is a teacher in the schools of North Canton, Ohio, and holds a life certificate.
In politics, Mr. Stroup is identified with the Democratic party, although he has always considered the character
of the candidate more important than the party. He served as township assessor for two terms when quite a young
man, but has never held any other public office. He holds membership in the Church of the Brethren and is superintendent
of the Reading Sunday School at present. He is also chairman of the Board of Religious Education of the Church
of the Brethren of Northeast Ohio. Mr. Stroup has served as president of the Columbiana County Teachers Institute
for a number of years and has always been prominent in school affairs of the county.
The original deed to the Stroup homestead in Knox Township, signed to James Monroe, Sept. 10, 1823, and recorded
in county records, Vol. L., page 361, conveys the Stroup homestead as spoken of to William Stroup, who later conveyed
it to George Stroup in 1837. Eli Sharp, father of the subject of this sketch, received a deed for it in 1866, and
William W. Stroup purchased it in 1911, and is still the owner. A tax receipt in the possession of Mr. Stroup,
dated Dec. 17, 1829, shows the tax for the farm in the year of 1828 to be $1.28; another dated in 1845 records
the annual tax as $3.31; and the 1924 receipt shows the tax on the property amounting to $114.66.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium