Samuel Stevenson, deceased, was a successful business man and prominent citizen of Wellsville for many years,
and president of the Stevenson Company, founders and machinists. He was born in Philadelphia, Dec. 25, 1828, the
son of James and Hannah J. (Girvin) Stevenson.
The parents of Mr. Stevenson were born in County Armagh, Ireland. and came to the United States in 1825, settling
in Philadephia, where they lived until 1838. James Stevenson engaged in business as a paving and grading contractor.
In 1838 the family removed to Pittsburgh, but soon after went to Hancock County, Va., across the river from Wellsville.
Some time in 1839 another removal was made to a farm in Yellow Creek Township, Columbiana County, but in 1842 they
left the farm and came to Wellsville. There James Stevenson died in 1870, aged 71 years, and his wife in 1872,
aged 73 years. Of their ten children eight grew to maturity: Hannah, married Stephen Fawcett, of Wellsville, both
deceased; Samuel the subject of this sketch; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of John Stoak; Martha, whose first
husband was James Parker and her second, S. F. riggs; Emily S., deceased, was the wife of Andrew Haley; Thomas
B., of Wellsville; Susan, married Albert Maple, of Oil City, Pa.; Isabel, married David Nicholson, of Iowa; and
Mary B. and Sarah Jane, both deceased.
Samuel Stevenson was ten years old when his parents moved to Wellsville and here he attended school until he was
15 years of age. He then entered the machine shop of Philip F. Geisse to learn the trade of machinist and served
an apprenticeship of five years, thereafter working as a journeyman until he was of age. About this time he secured
a position as assistant engineer on a river steamer and within six months was promoted to the position of second
engineer. It was not long before he successfully passed the examination for first engineer and he served in that
capacity until 1862, a period of 20 years. It was in the above mentioned year that his former employer testified
to the high appreciation in which he held his former apprentice by offering him a foremanship and superintendency
of his shop, and Mr. Stevenson held the position until 1866, when he bought the business from Mr. Geisse and went
into partnership with his brother, Thomas B., under the firm name of S. & T. B. Stevenson. A short time later
Alexander Denham was received into the firm and the name then became the Stevenson Company. In the course of time
Mr. Stevenson, our subject, became sole owner for a time, and then Mr. Denham reentered the business and this partnership
continued until 1888 when he bought Mr. Denham's interests. In 1900 the business was incorporated and Mr. Stevenson
became president of the company. He died Aug. 1, 1911, and is buried in Spring Hill cemetery, Wellsville.
On May 6, 1852, Mr. Stevenson was married to Mary Lucretia Starr, the daughter of Thomas and Susan (Ramsey) Starr,
of Wellsville. They had four children, of whom Charles is the only survivor. He was born Aug. 21, 1857, and was
always identified with his father's business. Charles Stevenson married Annie Askew of Wheeling, W. Va., and they
had two children, Erla and Mary. Charles Stevenson was president of the Stevenson Company from 1911 until his death,
Sept. 5, 1917.
Mary Lucretia (Starr) Stevenson died in 1860, and on Oct. 1, 1863, Samuel Stevenson was married to Mary A. Ramsey,
the daughter of John and Keziah (Hamilton) Ramsey. To this marriage were born ten children as follows: John C.,
killed in the Scioto disaster, July 4, 1885; Mary E., married Ross S. McKinn; William G., mention of whom is made
below; Lulu, married Thomas Rogers, of Ohio; Susan, married Ralph Sweetser, lives at Columbus, Ohio; Nancy Myers,
lives in Wellsville; Jane, the wife of Dr. G. W. McMillan, resides in Wellsville; Irene, married Leonard Aughinbaugh,
WeIlsville; Helen H.; and Lena married T. A. Hibbins and resides in Wellsville. Mary A. (Ramsey) Stevenson died
Feb. 24, 1894, and is buried in Wellsville.
William G. Stevenson was identified with the Stevenson Company during his life and served as president until his
death in August, 1924. He is buried in Pittsburgh, where his widow resides. Thomas A. Hibbins was elected president
of the company in 1925.
Samuel Stevenson was one of the organizers of the Peoples National Bank of Wellsville. He was a Republican and
frequently served in public office. He was one of the original trustees of the waterworks. Mr. Stevenson and his
family have always been identified with the United Presbyterian Church.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium