Thomas A. Scheets, cashier of The Peoples National Bank, is one of Wellsville's enterprising and successful
business men. He was born here, Feb. 13, 1883, and is the son of William H. and Ella N. (Abrahams) Scheets.
William H. Scheets, deceased, was for many years one of the most highly respected and influential citizens of Wellsville.
He was born in Philadelphia, April 22, 1839, and received his early education at Steubenville, Ohio. In 1859 he
accepted a position as machinist apprentice for the Steubenville and Indiana Railroad and his advancement in railroad
circles was rapid from the beginning of his career. He was appointed to the position as enginehouse foreman at
Steubenville in 1864 and two years later was transferred to Wellsville. He attained the distinction of engine inspector
Nov. 1, 1902, and held that position until May, 1909, when he was retired. He was always actively interested in
the railroad business and was one of the most esteemed employes of the Pennsylvania Company on this division. He
died April 17, 1912, and is buried in Spring Hill Cemetery, Wellsville. His wife preceded him in death two years.
They were the parents of the following children: Anna, married A. K. Riley, lives in Pittsburgh; William E., deceased;
Ruby, married H. C. Remus, lives in Youngstown, Ohio; and Thomas A., the subject of this sketch.
Thomas A. Scheets spent his boyhood in Wellsville, attended the public schools here, and in 1903 became identified
with the Peoples National Bank. He has served as cashier of that institution since 1918.
In October, 1907, Mr. Scheets was united in marriage with Miss Catherine Donaldson, of Wellsville, born in 1883,
and the daughter of George C. and Mary Donaldson. The former is deceased and the latter resides in Wellsville.
A sister, Otis Donaldson, also lives here. Mr. and Mrs. Scheets have two children: Thomas C., born in 1910; and
Christine, born in 1912.
Mr. Scheets is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is an alert business man and is accounted
one of the substantial citizens of Columbiana County.
The Peoples National Bank, Wellsville, was organized in 1902 on Main Street in the Snowden Building, and in 1904
moved to their new building at the square on Main Street, with the following officers: P. F. Smith, president;
Horace B. Nicholson, vice president and cashier. The directors were: P. F. Smith, C. E. McKim, D. S. Brookman,
H. C. DeSellem, E. H. Riggs, and H. B. Nicholson. The officers in 1925 are: Dr. J. S. McCulloch, president; F.
L. Wells, vice president; T. A. Scheets, cashier; and R. C. Merriman, assistant cashier. The directors are: Dr.
J. S. McCulloch, C. N. Brannan, Dr. J. M. King, F. L. Wells, G. F. McCready, Dr. G. W. McMillan, G. L. Howe, T.
A. Scheets, and Albert Lowther. It is capitalized at $100,000, with a surplus of $100,000, and undivided profits
of $62,522.60. It is a thriving institution and ranks among the reliable banking houses of the county.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium