Richard C. Sant is a representative young business man of East Liverpool and a member of a family that has long
been identified with the pottery industry in Columbiana County. He was born at Wellsville, May 15, 1893, and is
the son of John and Josephine (Webster) Sant.
John Sant was born in England. When a young man he came to this country and settled in East Liverpool, where for
a short time he was connected with the morning newspaper. He established a business college in this city and after
several years went to Wellsville, where he served as manager of the Wellsville China Company. Later, he established
a pottery business in Louisville, Ky., which he sold faunally. He then became interested in the pottery supply
business in East Liverpool, the business being known as John Sant Company. In 1911 the company was incorporated
as John Sant & Sons Company with the following officers: John Sant, president; Richard C. Sant, vice president;
Thomas Sant, secretary and treasurer. John Sant is deceased and buried in Riverview Cemetery, East Liverpool. His
wife lives in this city. To Mr. and Mrs. Sant three sons were born: William, mention of whom is made below; Richard
C., the subject of this sketch; and John Francis, a graduate of Kenyon College and Bexley Theological Seminary,
is stationed at Detroit, Mich
William Sant was a student at Oxford College, England, at the outbreak of the World War. In 1916 he enlisted in
the British Army and was sent to Egypt, where he died and is buried.
Richard C. Sant's maternal grandfather was Elijah Webster, pioneer pottery manufacturer of this section. He was
associated with the C. C. Thompson Pottery Company of East Liverpool for a number of years.
Mr. Sant was reared and educated in East Liverpool and when a young man became connected with his father's business,
being elected vice president of the company in 1911. The officers are: Richard C. Sant, president; and John F.
Sant, secretary and treasurer. They are miners and dealers in clay and Feldspar for the potteries and handle both
domestic and imported products. The offices of John Sant & Sons Company, brokers, are in the Brookes Building,
on Market Street.
In 1914 Mr. Sant was united in marriage with Miss Helen Boyd of Chester, W. Va., the daughter of I. B. and Lillian
(Tannehill) Boyd, residents of New Kensington, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Sant have two sons: Richard Boyd, born in August,
1916; and John William, born in 1920.
Mr. Sant is identified with the American Ceramic Society. He is a Republican, a member of the Episcopal Church,
and the Elks Lodge.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium