James J. Reese is one of the successful business men of East Liverpool, where he is engaged in the jewelry business.
He was born in this city, March 1, 1883, and is the son of John and Margaret (Johnston) Reese.
John Reese was born in Wales. At the age of nine years he began an apprenticeship at the cabinet maker's trade,
being bound out under the old British system to learn this trade. When a young man he came to the United States
and settled at Allegheny, Pa., where he was married. He spent several years in Kansas City, Mo., later coming to
East Liverpool, where he died in 1914, at the age of 64 years. His wife, a native of Beaver County, Pa., died Oct.
20, 1925, and is buried in Riverview Cemetery, East Liverpool. To Mr. and Mrs. Reese seven children were born as
follows: J. William and Edward P., who live at East Liverpool, the former, J. William being a general plaster and
concrete contractor and Edward P., a dishmaker with Knowles, Taylor & Knowles Pottery Company; Mayme, married
Joseph J. Duke, lives in East Liverpool; James J., the subject of this sketch; Catherine, deceased, was the wife
of Joseph Laughlin, who lives in Pittsburgh, Pa.; Dr. David L., mention of whom is made below; and Lloyd G., a
graduate of East Liverpool High School and Miami University, Ohio, and took a medical course in Wester Reserve
University and graduated at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School. He is now serving as interne at Dixmont,
Pa., in the hospital for the insane. He is a veteran of the World War.
Dr. David L. Reese, a prominent physician and surgeon of Pittsburgh, is a World War veteran. He received his degree
as Doctor of Medicine from Western Reserve University, Cleveland. At the outbreak of the World War he enlisted
in the Medical Reserve Corps, was sent to Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., and later transferred to Newport News, Va., as
an examining physician. He served in France and in many important engagements of the war and was later located
in a base hospital at Valdahan, France, as an attending physician. After the close of the war he was discharged
as a first lieutenant and returned to Pittsburgh, where he engaged in practice with Dr. Bryant, at that time a
member of the staff of the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Reese's offices are located in the Jenkins Arcade Building.
James J. Reese spent his boyhood in East Liverpool and attended the public schools. He is a graduate of the Bradley
Horological Institute, Peoria, Ill., and since 1920 has engaged in the jewelry business in East Liverpool. Mr.
Reese has an attractive store at 615 Dresden Avenue and handles a complete line of jewelry, watches, diamonds,
and silverware. He also does general repair work.
On Nov. 17, 1921, Mr. Reese was united in marriage with Miss Myrtle M. Allison, of East Liverpool, a daughter of
James White and Martha (Cartwright) Allison, both deceased.
Mr. Reese is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Masonic and Eagle
lodges. He is a Republican and an excellent citizen of the community in which he lives.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium