The Potters Mining & Milling Company, one of the leading business enterprises of East Liverpool, was organized
in 1880 by Homer Laughlin, Homer Knowles, John M. Taylor, Joseph G. Lee, William and Samuel Cartwright, George
S. Goodwin, Col. William Vodrey and others. It was founded for the purpose of grinding ffint and feldspar for pottery
use. The original idea was to supply the potteries in East Liverpool, but the company has expanded and now ships
to all potteries in this section of the country. During the early days of the company flint was found in eastern
Pennsylvania and Maryland by farmers while plowing, sent to East Liverpool, and placed in a kiln, calcined, and
later ground. However, at the present time pure glass sand is used, which has been found to be about 99 per cent
pure for pottery use. Feldspar, used in the manufacture of pottery ware, is shipped to the company from Canada
and North Carolina.
The Potters Mining & Milling Company is equipped to grind 120 tons per day. Nine acres of ground are owned
by the plant, which is located in the east end of East Liverpool. The present officers are: George C. Thompson,
president; Homer J. Taylor, vice president; C. G. Metsch, secretary and treasurer. The directors are George C.
Thompson, Homer J. Taylor, William H. Vodrey, W. E. Wells, H. N. Harker, W. H. Phillips, George S. Goodwin, and
Harry A. McNicol.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium