Monroe Patterson, deceased, was for many years prominently connected with the financial and business interests
of East Liverpool. He was born at Millersburg, Lawrence County, Ohio, Jan. 7, 1853, the son of George Patterson.
After completing his schooling at Millersburg, Monroe Patterson engaged in teaching. His family removed to Ironton,
Ohio, when he was 18 years of age, and he engaged in the contracting business there for five years. In 1876 Mr.
Patterson came to East Liverpool and in partnership with his brother in law, Philip Morley, and Harry Dixon, organized
the firm of Morley, Dixon & Patterson, manufacturers of foundry products. The plant was located at Fourth and
Walnut streets. After several years Mr. Patterson became sole owner of the business, which has since been known
as the Patterson Foundry & Machine Company. He served as secretary and treasurer until his death, Nov. 22,
1924. Mr. Patterson was also the founder of the Wellsville China Company.
In September, 1883, Mr. Patterson was married to Miss Mary A. Thompson, of Smith's Ferry, Ohio. She died Nov. 26,
1921. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are buried in Riverview Cemetery, East Liverpool.
In 1923 Mr. Patterson gave to the city of East Liverpool a home for working girls, which is known as the Mary A.
Patterson Memorial Christian Home. Patterson Field, a baseball field and community playground, was also among his
gifts to the city. Mr. Patterson had extensive real estate holdings in East Liverpool and Mt. Dora, Florida. He
was a member of the Kiwanis Club.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium