James K. Moffat, one of the leading citizens of East Liverpool, who is prominently identified with an important
business enterprise of Columbiana County, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born at Brookville, July 18, 1876,
and is the son of James and Margaret (Hagen) Moffat.
James Moffat, deceased, was born in Scotland. When a young man he came to the United States and settled at Allegheny,
Pa., where he engaged in the plumbing business. Later he lived at Brookville and Etst Liverpool, where he died
in October, 1900. He was a Republican and served as deputy sheriff of Columbiana County. His wife, a native of
Allegheny County, Pa., resides in East Liverpool. Mr. and Mrs. Moffat had five children: Charles, lives at Knoxville,
Pa.; James K., the subject of. this sketch; L. G., lives in East Liverpool; Janet, married Edward Grimm, lives
at Beaver, Pa.; and Helen, married Harry Walker, lives in East Liverpool.
James K. Moffat spent his boyhood at Lisbon, Ohio, and was graduated from Lisbon High School in 1895. His first
business connection was with the First National Bank of Lisbon and he was later identified with the American Sheet
& Tin Plate Company, Wellsville, for 20 years. He resigned his position as chief order clerk Nov. 1, 1924,
and became active vice president of the American Paper Products Company, of which he was an organizer.
Mr. Moffat was married in November, 1919, to Miss Florence Bucher, who was born in Beaver County, Pa., the daughter
of Washington and Sarah Bucher, both deceased. They have no children.
Mr. Moffat is a Republican. Mrs. Moffat is a member of the First Methodist Church.
The American Paper Products Company, of East Liverpool, is one of the most prominent of the many great manufacturing
concerns of this section. It was established in January, 1915, with the following officers: R. L. Cawood, president;
James K. Moffat, vice president, and B. W. Hunsicker, secretary and treasurer. They are manufacturers of church
collection and pay envelopes. The plant occupies a modern three story factory building at Walnut and Third streets
and employs approximately 30 people. The entire first floor of their building is occupied by the envelope manufacturing
departments, main printing and shipping departments, and machine shops. The second floor contains the general offices,
collating department and printing department. The third floor is occupied entirely by their stock and storage rooms.
On this floor 80 million envelopes and one million cartons are kept in stock at all times. The most modern machinery
and equipment is used, including automatic enevelope machines and printing presses. The envelope machines turn
out 200 envelopes per minute, folding, glueing and handing the completed envelope to the operator in packs of 25
each. The automatic printing press feeds itself, dates each envelope differently, prints two colors at the same
time, and numbers 52 envelopes alike, and then automatically changes to the next number. Should an envelope prove
defective, the machine shuts down automatically.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium