Biography of Lewis P. Metzger
Columbiana County, OH Biographies










Lewis Pow Metzger of Salem not only ranks as a leading member, of the Columbiana County bar, but is one of the prominent lawyers of northern Ohio. He was born in Green Township, Mahoning County, Ohio, April 25, 1873, and is the youngest of nine children of Abner and Sarah A. Metzger. The father was engaged in the stone quarry business, his quarry being located on the home premises. The city of Salem was the principal market for the product of his quarry.

Lewis Pow Metzger attended the local district school and later was a student in the township high school which was located at Greenford. He was graduated from that institution in June, 1890. He was then engaged for a time in his father's stone quarry and later attended normal school at Canfield, Ohio, and for a short time attended Kenyon College. He taught school for several years and for a time was a teacher in the township high school at Greenford, where he had previously graduated. In the fall of 1893 he entered the Law School at Valpraiso, Ind., where he remained one year, and then completed his legal education in the law office of A. W. Taylor at Salem, Ohio. He was admitted to practice in Ohio in June, 1895, and the following year became a member of the law firm of Taylor & Metzger, which association continued until January, 1900, when the partnership was dissolved. In 1905 Mr. Metzger became a member of the firm of Metzger & Smith, this partnership continuing until the fall of 1920 when the present firm of Metzger & McCarthy was organized.

Mr. Metzger was first married in January, 1899, to Miss Jessie Pearl Baker, of Salem, Ohio, who passed away in May, 1900. One son, South Metzger, was born of this marriage, and is at the present time engaged in the practice of law in Chicago, Ill., with offices at 1125 First National Bank Building.

In September, 1905, Mr. Metzger was married to Mary Annetta Farr, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Farr of Salem, Ohio.

Mr. Metzger is a Republican and has taken an active part in matters political. Prior to 1900 be assisted in organizing the M. A. Hanna Republican Club, and was president of that organization for a number of years. In 1900 he was nominated and elected city solicitor of the city of Salem and was twice reelected to that office. In the fall of 1908 he was nominated and elected prosecuting attorney of Columbiana County and was reelected to that office, retiring in February, 1913.

He is a member of the Salem Lodge of Elks, of which he was Exalted Ruler in 1899 and District Deputy in northern Ohio for the year of 1901. He is a member of a number of Masonic bodies, including the Shrine, being a member of Alladin Temple of Columbus.

In addition to his active carer as a professional man, Mr. Metzger has ever been ready to contribute his time and resources to charitable and patriotic enterprises and insttiutions. He has been a member of the board of trustees of the Salem Hospital Association since its organization and is chairman of the executive committee at the present time. He is a member of the board of trustees and has been president of The World's War Memorial Building Association since its organization. He has always been actively identified with the various campaigns conducted in Salem and vicinity for raisng funds and during the World War he served as chairman of substantially all of the numerous drives that were held.

He is a member of the First Christian Church of Salem, Ohio, of which his parents and all the members of his family are members.


From:
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1926


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012