The D. E. McNicol Pottery Company, of East Liverpool, is one of the old established and important industries
of this city. Its main plant, known as No. 1, is located on the corner of Broadway and Sixth streets. This plant
has ten large general ware kilns and five large decorating kilns. High grade semi-porcelain, plain white and decorated
dinner ware, also decorated specialties, are made at this plant. Plant No. 2 is located on Starkey Street and has
three large general ware kilns where white semiporcelain dinner ware is made. Plant No. 3 is located on Boyce Street,
East End, where they have ten large kilns and manufacture Rockingham and Yellow ware, also saggers, and pins and
stilts for their different plants. Plant No. 5, a new modern plant, is located at Clarksburg, W. Va., and has ten
large kilns and six decorated kilns. High grade semi-porcelain in white and decorated is made at this plant.
The history of this pottery began in 1862 when John S. Goodwin built the original plant, consisting of two kilns.
After operating this plant for a few years he sold it to H. A. Marks, Enoch Riley, John Neville, and others, who
conducted the business as A. J. Marks & Company until 1869, when it was sold to John McNicol, who organized
a joint stock company of the following members: John McNicol, Patrick McNicol, William Burton, Sr., William Burton,
Jr., Mitchell McClure, and Adolph Fritz. John McNicol died in 1882 and his son, Daniel
E. McNicol took over his interests and later on from year to year he bought all the other interests from members
of McNicol Burton & Company. In 1892 he organized the D. E. McNicol Pottery Company which was incorporated.
At this time W. L. Smith became interested and took an active part in the business until 1908 when his interest
was purchased by Daniel E. McNicol. Since that time The D. E. McNicol Pottery plants have been operated by D. E.
McNicol and his four sons: John A., Hugh L., Daniel E., Jr., and Cornelius C. McNicol.
In 1914 a new plant was built by this company at Clarksburg, W. Va., which is operated under the same management.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium