Patrick McNicol is among the representative and successful business men of East Liverpool, where he is identified
with the Dresden Pottery Company, as treasurer and general manager. He was born in this city, Nov. 16, 1865, and
is a son of Patrick and Ellen (Johnson) MeNicol.
The McNicol family originally came from Ireland, where Patrick McNicol, father of the subject of this sketch was
born, May 10, 1824. He was the son of George McNicol, a weaver, who died in 1834. In 1841 Patrick McNicol went
to Glasgow, Scotland, where he was employed in the potteries until 1850, at which time he came to this country
and located in East Liverpool. He became connected with Vodrey, Woodward & Blakley, pioneer potters of this
section, and was later identified with the firm of Foster & Riley for 13 years. In 1871 with his brother, John,
he organized a stock company and purchased the Novelty Pottery Company, He retired from business in 1888 and died
Nov. 13, 1894. In 1852 Mr. McNicol was married to Miss Ellen Johnson, a daughter of Thomas Johnson, of Columbiana
County. She was born Oct. 20, 1828, and died April 9, 1914. She was a life long member of St. Aloysius Catholic
Church, East Liverpool. To Patrick and Ellen (Johnson) McNicol the following children were born: George F. and
Ellen, both deceased; Thomas J., lives at Salem, Ohio; John F., deceased; Margaret, lives at East Liverpool; Patrick,
the subject of this sketch; Mary A., married David S. Harris, lives at East Liverpool; Daniel B. and Charles A.,
who live in East Liverpool.
Patrick McNicol was reared and educated in East Liverpool and at an early age became interested in the pottery
business with his father. In 1890 he purchased an interest in the Standard Pottery Company, which was at that time
a cooperative concern. Two years later it became a joint stock company and Mr. McNicol was elected vice president.
In 1910 he became president and served in this capacity until June, 1925. Mr. McNicol is treasurer and general
manager of the Dresden Pottery Company, vice president of the National Drawn Steel Company, and is a director of
the First National Bank and the Potters Savings & Loan Company, and during the past 25 years has been a director
of the City Hospital.
In politics Mr. McNicol is identified with the Republican party and served as City Councilman from 1908 until 1910.
He was appointed County Commissioner, Feb. 16, 1920 to fill the unexpired term of the late Philip Bowman. Mr. McNicol
was elected County Commissioner in Nov. 1920 and began his term of office in 1921 which he filled in a capable
manner until Jan. 5, 1925. During his administration as commissioner, he was an ardent worker toward the good roads
movement of Columbiana County, and was one who was instrumental in bringing about the hard surfaced roads, in the
county and community.
Mr. McNicol as an executive officer and ideal citizen, is highly esteemed.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium