Robert J. McElravy is one of the representative business men of East Liverpool, where he is identified with
the McElravy Brothers Motor Company as president and general manager. He was born at Carrollton, Carroll County,
Ohio, Sept. 17, 1879, and is the son of Daniel Webster and Lydia Ann (Mercer) McElravy.
Daniel Webster McElravy, a native of Harrison County, Ohio, was the son of James and Mary McElravy, and a well
known building contractor of Carroll County. He died in June, 1911, and his wife, also a native of Harrison County,
resides with her son in East Liverpool She is the daughter of William and Ann Mercer, natives of Mercer County,
Pa. To Mr. and Mrs. McElravy the following children were born: George W., married Mae Black, lives in Carroll County,
Ohio, where he is engaged in farming; Charles, lives in Carroll County; John and Frank, both deceased; Lillian
M., lives with her brother in East Liverpool; Robert J., the subject of this sketch; and Edward H., married Maud
Burgess, lives in East Liverpool.
Robert J. McElravy was graduated from Carrollton High School in 1897 and in that year came to East Liverpool and
entered the employ of the Ohio Valley Gas Company. He resigned his position as cashier with this company in 1900
and became associated in business with C. A. Smith, with whom he was identified until June 25, 1925. For several
years he served as superintendent of the East Liverpool and Rock Springs Railway Company, which was owned by Mr.
Smith. Mr. McElravy was also connected with the Steubenville, East Liverpool and Beaver Valley Traction Company
as assistant general manager from 1915 to 1922 and was general manager of the Chester General Contracting Company
of East Liverpool, Ohio from 1917 to 1922. C. A. Smith is one of the leading real estate operators of Columbiana
County and has extensive business interests with which Mr. McElravy was identified with until 1925. On Jan. 1,
1923, Mr. McElravy established his present business at 114 South Market Street. He had the agency for the White
trucks and in 1924 took over the agency for the Nash and Marmon automobiles. The McElravy Brothers Motor Company
is among the leading automobile agencies of the county, and carries on a large volume of business.
In 1905 Mr. McElravy was united in marriage with Miss Harriet V. Ashbaugh, the daughter of Oliver M. and Kate (Bradshaw)
Ashbaugh, the former a native of East Liverpool and the latter of England. Mr. and Mrs. Ashbaugh are deceased.
Mrs. McElravy died Feb. 14, 1914, and is buried in Riverview Cemetery. A daughter, Lydia Pauline, was born July
23, 1907. She was graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1925.
Mr. McElravy is a Republican, a member of the Presbyterian Church, a 32nd degree Mason and belongs to the Shrine
and Elks Lodge. He has been well and favorably known in Columbiana County for many years and is an excellent citizen.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium