Howard Wells McCurdy is a successful and well known business man of Salem, where he is engaged in the insurance
business. He was born in Salem, Dec. 11, 1859, and is the son of James Henry and Elizabeth Ellen (Briner) McCurdy.
James Henry McCurdy was born at Lewistown, Pa., March 5, 1832, the son of James and Mrs. Eliza (Beck) McCurdy.
The McCurdy family originally came from Ireland, where James McCurdy was born Nov. 29, 1795. His son, James Henry,
father of the subject of this sketch, learned the tanning trade and worked for several years at this business.
About the year 1856, he moved to Salem, and resided here until July, 1879. During this period his vocation was
stationary engineer and iron molder. In July, 1879, he moved to Snyder County, Pa., and resided on a farm about
four miles from McClure, Pa., for nearly three years. In 1882 he then moved to Lewistown, Pa., his birthplace,
and remained there until his death, which occurred Dec. 27, 1891. During the Civil War he enlisted in the first
company organized in Salem, Company I, First Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, Sept. 17, 1861. He received his discharge
June 25, 1862, at Columbus. He was married to Elizabeth Ellen Briner, daughter of Leonard and Mary Briner, Sept.
13, 1853. Mrs. McCurdy was born near Lewistown, Pa., June 3, 1836, and died Feb. 18, 1898. To them three children
were born: John Albert, died in infancy; Howard Wells, the subject of this sketch; and Emma Nettie.
Howard Wells McCurdy attended the public and high schools of Salem, and his first business connection was with
the Salem Republican, a weekly newspaper, in April, 1876 Finishing the printing trade, he left Salem with his parents
to reside on a farm near McClure, Pa., in July, 1879. In 1882 he located at Lewistown, Pa., where he worked on
the Sentinel and Free Press. In April, 1886, he opened a job printing shop at "Five Points," and in 1889
this entire plant was destroyed by fire. He returned to Salem, where he purchased a half interest in the firm of
Kirby & Company, job and label printers. They issued the Salem Democratic Bulletin, a weekly newspaper, and
in May, 1891, established the Salem Daily Herald. In July, 1894, he sold his interest in the firm, but remained
as foreman until September, 1908. In March, 1909, Mr. McCurdy assumed control of the Brady Insurance Agency, Salem,
which was established in 1908. It has since been known as the McCurdy Insurance Agency, and carries on a general
insurance business. Mr. McCurdy served as president of the Salem Typographical Union from 1902 until 1925 inclusive.
On March 9, 1893, Mr. McCurdy was united in marriage with Miss Hannah May Blackburn, who was born at New Waterford,
Ohio, Nov. 29, 1867. A daughter was born to them, Leda Fay. She was born in Salem, Dec. 30, 1893, and on June 20,
1914, was married to Mitchell E. Lewis. To them was born a daughter, Zona Gale Lewis, born July 25, 1916. On Sept.
21, 1922, Mrs. Lewis was married the second time to Samuel J. Davison, of Salem, and they have a son, Samuel J.
Davison, Jr., born Dec. 11, 1923.
The McCurdy family is well and favorably known in Columbiana County and Mr. McCurdy is an excellent citizen.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium