Dr. Hugh S. Maxwell, deceased, was a well known physician and surgeon of Lisbon. He was born at Rockville, Ind.,
July 3, 1879, and is the son of David H. and Anna Flora (Smith) Maxwell.
David H. Maxwell, deceased, was a native of Bloomington, Ind., born in 1825, and the son of Dr. David Harvey Maxwell,
who came to Indiana from Danville, Ky., during the early days and ranked among the most prominent physicians of
his time. He was one of the founders of Indiana University and by many is known as the father of the University
at Bloomington. His son, David H., studied law at the University of Indiana and was successful in the practice
of his profession. His son, Howard, has carried on his extensive practice at Rockville, Ind., since his death,
which occurred in 1903. His wife, who was born near Salem, Ohio, in 1838, died in 1912, and with her husband is
buried at Rockville, Ind. To Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell four children were born: Judge David Howard, lives at Rockville,
Ind.; Ralph Wilson, deceased; Margaret Louise, died at the age of 16 years; and Hugh S., the subject of this sketch.
Dr. Hugh S. Maxwell spent his boyhood at Rockville, attended the public schools and was graduated from Indiana
University in 1901. Three years later he received his degree as Doctor of Medicine from Rush Medical College and
the following year was an interne at the Passavant Hospital, Pittsburgh. In 1907 he entered general practice at
Clairton, Pa., and was also assistant physician there to Dr. A. W. Colcord, surgeon for the Carnegie Steel Company.
He came to Lisbon in 1913 after having spent several years at Richmond, Ohio. During the period of the World War
Doctor Maxwell volunteered his services and was stationed at a Louisiana base hospital with the rank of captain.
He was discharged in March, 1919, and has since been practicing in Lisbon. Doctor Maxwell had taken post graduate
work at the Chicago Polyclinic and specialized in the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear and nose.
On July 21, 1908, Doctor Maxwell was united in marriage with Miss Katherine Marie Probst, a native of Hartford,
Wis., the daughter of Christian and Barbara (Foester) Probst. Before her marriage Mrs. Maxwell was engaged in nursing,
having graduated from the Passavant Hospital at Pittsburgh, Pa. Five children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Maxwell,
as follows: Eugene Howard, born June 8, 1909, died in infancy; Jean Ruth, horn May 28, 1910; Martha Anna, born
June 15, 1912; Mary Catherine, born March 2, 1915; and Virginia Rose, born Feb. 10, 1918.
Politically, Doctor Maxwell was a Republican. He held membership in the Presbyterian Church, the Masonic Lodge,
American Legion and Kiwanis Club. He was a member of the American Medical Association, The Colunibiana County Medical
Society, and was a member of the medical staff of the Salem City Hospital, Salem, Ohio. He was well known in Columbiana
County and had a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
Doctor Maxwell died Oct. 31, 1925. Mrs. Maxwell now resides in Lisbon and is one of the highly esteemed women of
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium