F. Q. Mason, manager and manufacturing chemist of the Mason Color and Chemical Works, East Liverpool, was born
at Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, England, Jan. 22, 1880, and is the son of Augustus Frederick and Keziah (Jones) Mason.
F. Q. Mason has inherited his professional ability from his grandfather, James Mason, who was born at Teine, Staffordshire,
England, and who died in 1865. He was a color maker, and was the originator of the famous Mason colors which are
used in potteries and glass works throughout the world. In 1830 James Mason engaged in business in England, and
in 1842 erected the Bleak Place Color Works, which are famous all over the world. He married Miss Mary Skerratt,
of Hanley, Staffordshire, who was considered at that time by competent authority as the finest color chemist in
North Staffordshire. She was also a woman of business ability and much of the early success of James Mason is attributed
to his wife. He was at one time a printer at the Cauldon Place Pottery Works of John Ridgeway, where he filled
the position of foreman for a period of 40 years. The only child of John and Mary Mason was Augustus Frederick,
the father of the subject of this sketch.
Augustus Frederick Mason was born Sept. 4, 1842, and as both his father and mother were interested in colors, he
very early gained a knowledge of their composition, spending his boyhood in and about his father's works. He later
took a course in chemistry at the Hanley Art School and finally succeeded to the ownership of the Bleak Place Color
Works. He married Kezziah Jones, a daughter of Martin Jones, of Tunsfall, England. For a number of years Augustus
F. Mason was associated with that religious body known as Plymouth Brethren, and he was considered one of the orators
of North Staffordshire.
F. Q. Mason was reared at Bursiem, where he completed the common and high school courses and in 1892 he entered
Wedgewood Institute, where he took a course in inorganic chemistry and quantitative and qualitative analysis. After
completing a general and special training he entered his father's works in January, 1902, where he remained until
June 11, 1902, when he came to the United States, with an idea of looking over the fields of the pottery industry
in this country with a view to establishing a color manufacturing plant similar to his father's. His investigation
resulted in the organization of the first and thus far the only color plant in the country at East Liverpool, which
is known as the Mason Color & Chemical Works. The business was begun in a small way, with a capacity measured
by two frinding pans, but within a short time six pans were required, and it has since had a steady growth.
In December, 1907, Mr. Mason was married to Miss Drusilla Creighton, of Malvern, Ohio, and the daughter of James
Ross and Mary (Reed) Creighton, both of whom died in 1923. To Mr. and Mrs. Mason have been born six children: James
Frederick, born Oct. 7, 1908, died Dec. 8, 1915; Gladys I., born Sept. 10, 1909, a student at East Liverpool High
School; Gertrude E., born Sept. 23, 1912; Esther L., born Dec. 31, 1913; Ethel M., born April 23, 1918; and Ronald
K., born Sept. 15, 1923.
Mr. Mason and his family hold membership in the First Church of Christ and he belongs to the Chamber of Commerce.
He ranks among the leading and reliable business men of this section and is highly esteemed.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium