Biography of Dr. Robert J. Marshall
Columbiana County, OH

Dr. Robert J. Marshall, a physician and surgeon of East Liverpool, is well known throughout Columbiana County, both as a successful man in his profession and as an excellent citizen. He was born in Big Beaver Township, Beaver County, Pa., Nov. 26, 1862, and is the son of Hugh James and Amanda (Hudson) Marshall.

John Marshall, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a native of the north of Ireland, and died in this country in 1862 at the age of 79 years. He was six years of age when he was brought to this country by his parents, who settled in western Pennsylvania, where he followed farming all his life. Hugh James Marshall was born in Lawrence County, Pa., Dec. 31, 1831, and in early life engaged in farming and also taught school. About four years after he was married he removed from Lawrence County to Beaver County, Pa., and in 1857 settled on a farm in Big Beaver Township, where he purchased what was known as the Henry Newkirk Farm. He was a Republican, and in 1871 was elected county commissioner, in which position he served two terms. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Marshall was united in marriage with Miss Amanda Hudson, a daughter of Stockman Hudson, who spent most of his life in Lawrence County. Mr. Marshall died in 1911 and his wife died in 1870, at the age of 39 years. They had five children: John, died in August, 1924, was buried at Beaver Falls, Pa.; Mary Elizabeth, the widow of Fulton Patterson, lives at Beaver Falls, Pa.; Amos, lives at Beaver Falls, where he is identified with the Fairbanks Scales Company; Matilda, married Robert Crawford, lives at Beaver Falls, where he is also with the Fairbanks Scales Company; and Robert J., the subject of this sketch.

Dr. Robert J. Marshall was educated in the public schools of his native county and attended Greersburg Academy, Darlington, Pa. He then read medicine with Dr. W. A. Sawyer, and later attended Western Reserve Medical School, Cleveland, Ohio, from which he was graduated March 3, 1886. During the following summer he practiced with his former preceptor and later located at Fairview and Ohioville, Beaver County, Pa. He made rapid progress in his profession and in 1889 located at East Liverpool, where he still continues to practice. Doctor Marshall has been a constant student during the years of his practice of surgery and medicine His skill has many times been demonstrated and he enjoys the unbounded confidence and respect of his fellow citizens.

On June 14, 1888, Dr. Marshall was married to Miss Sue E. Piersol, who was born June 15, 1867, the daughter of Prof. S. H. and Elizabeth (Weaver) Piersol, natives of West Bridgewater, Pa. In 1876 the Monaca Soldiers Orphans Home, of which Prof. Piersol was principal, burned. And during the latter part of that year he opened his own academy at West Bridgewater, which he conducted until his death in December, 1903. His wife died in 1870. They were the parents of seven children: Zanthippe and Queenetta, both of whom died in infancy; Dr. Joseph, a physician, deceased; George, deceased; Katheryn, married S. P. Alleman, lives retired at Parkersburg, W. Va.; Frances, married F. W. Neely, lives at Beaver, Pa.; and Mrs. Marshall. Mr. Piersol was married the second time in 1876 to Miss Mary Chambers, deceased. To them two sons were born; Dr. Scudder Piersol, a physician, at Rochester, Pa.; and Robert, who died in infancy. To Dr. and Mrs. Marshall were born five children: (1) R. Earle, born at Fairview, Pa., April 9, 1889, died in 1892, and is buried at Beaver; (2) Wilma, born at East Liverpool, Jan. 23, 1892, married H. C. Moisberry, and they have three children, Betsy Jane, Roberta Marshall, and Sue Howard. Mr. Moisberry is a graduate of Ames College, Iowa, and is a construction engineer. He attended the first Officers Training Camp at Fort Niagara, and received a commission as first lieutenant. He served in France and received the Distinguished Service Cross for bravery in action and was promoted to captain. He was returned to the United States to form a unit to return to France, but the war ended and he was discharged. After the war he located with the Memphis Construction Company in Pittsburgh, and later became connected with the Truscon Steel Company of Youngstown, Ohio. He is now consulting engineer for this company in Tokio, Japan. Mrs. Molsberry is a graduate of Western Reserve University. (3) Ila, born at East Liverpool, May 27, 1893, married D. M. Cronin, who is associated with the Standard Pottery Company of East Liverpool. She is a graduate of Iron City Business College and King's School of Oratory, Pittsburgh; (4) Frances Roberta, born Jan. 7, 1899, married A. A. Wells, of Newell, W. Va., and they reside at East Liverpool where he is engaged in the pottery business. They have a son, A. A. Wells, Jr. Mrs. Wells is a graduate of Penn Hall College, Chambersburg, and Bowling Green University, Kentucky; (5) Robert J., Jr., born Nov. 29, 1902, is a graduate of East Liverpool High School and attended the University of Pittsburgh. He is at present attending Pitt University, Pittsburgh, Pa., and will enter the Medical Department of the College in 1926.

Doctor Marshall is a Republican and has served nine consecutive years as a member of the city council. He also served as mayor for one term. He is identified with the Columbiana County Medical Society, the Ohio State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Elks Lodge. Doctor Marshall is president and one of the organizers of the Federal Building & Loan Company.

History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1926

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z



New York

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012