Dr. Tom B. Marquis, deceased, was one of the best known and most successful physicians and surgeons of Columbiana
County. He was born at West Point, Columbiana County, Feb. 6, 1854, the son of Dr. David and Margaret (McCartney)
Dr. David Marquis was born in Beaver County, Pa., where he was reared, and in early life followed the trade of
a carpenter, thereby earning the necessary funds to take him through school. He was wholly a selfmade man and gained
a place of prominence in his professional work. He was graduated from Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, March 6,
1845, and soon after engaged in practice, locating at West Point. Two or three years after his marriage in 1849
he went west overland to Pike's Peak and Sacramento City to seek his fortune. After two years he returned to Ohio
and resumed his practice at West Point. In 1867 he removed to Lisbon, where he died Jan. 21, 1881. His wife died
in 1892. To Dr. and Mrs. Marquis the following children were born: Linda Walton, died in Nov., 1913; Lycurgus,
died in April, 1925; Dr. Torn B., the subject of this sketch; Jennings C., died in November, 1914; Elwood, died
in 1895; Arizona, died in November, 1915; Nevada, died Aug. 30, 1920; and Denver, a farmer, lives near Wellsville.
Dr. Tom B. Marquis was reared at Lisbon where he attended the public and high schools. He studied medicine at the
University of Michigan and subsequently at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York city, from which he was
graduated in 1877. He also took post graduate work at Chicago University and New York Polytechnic. Dr. Marquis
was successfully engaged in the practice of his profession at Lisbon until his death, November 7, 1912. He was
also interested in the drug business and in connection with his work established Riverside Hospital in Lisbon.
On Sept. 14, 1881, Dr. Marquis was united in marriage with Miss May Frost, a native of Lisbon, and the daughter
of Ezra and Catherine (Cooney) Frost. Mr. Frost died in 1889 and his wife died in 1909. He was a native of Pennsylvania
and a pioneer settler of Lisbon, where he engaged in the mercantile business for many years and was founder of
the Excelsior Fire Clay Company. To Dr. and Mrs. Marquis two daughters were born; Mabel, a graduate of Baltimore
and Goucher College, engaged in international institute work in Youngstown, Ohio; and Kathryn, a graduate of Goucher
College in 1915, now engaged in teaching high school at Washingtonville, Ohio.
Dr. Marquis was identified with the Columbia County Medical Association and the Ohio Medical Society and for a
number of years was president of the Seventh Councilor District Medical Association. He held membership in the
Masonic Lodge and the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a substantial citizen and stood high in his profession.
The Marquis family home is in Lisbon.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium