Rev. Alfred Joseph Manning, rector of St. Paul's Catholic Church, Salem, is among Columbiana County's most prominent
and highly esteemed citizens. He is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, born June 10, 1877, and the son of John R. and
Anna (Dempsey) Manning. Both Mr. and Mrs. Manning are residents of Cleveland, where Mr. Manning was identified
with Thomas Manning, Jr. & Sons Engine Company.
Rev. Alfred Joseph Manning was educated at St. Joseph's Seminary for Boys, St. Ignatius College, and St. Mary's
Seminary, of Cleveland. In 1903 he was ordained to the priesthood and spent the following year in Cleveland as
assistant at St. Augustine's Church. He was located at Lima, Ohio, for five years, as assistant pastor of St. Rose's
Church, after which he retired on account of ill health. Reverend Manning spent two years in New Mexico and upon
his return to Ohio was appointed assistant pastor of St. Peter and Paul's Church, Sandusky, and later of St. Edwards,
Cleveland, after which he served as chaplain of St. Vincent's Orphanage for six years. In 1918 Reverend Manning
was sent to Salem as pastor of St. Paul's Church.
St. Paul's Catholic Church was founded Oct. 8, 1868 by Rev. E. W. J. Lindesmith. Its various pastors have been
as follows: Rev. C. H. Treiber, Rev. W. J. Finucan, Rev. F. Senner, Rev. G. C. Schoenemann, Rev. T. F. Conlon,
Rev. Leon Lentsch, Rev. John T. Moran, Rev. M. H. Casey, Rev. H. J. Gerhardstein, Rev. Thomas A. Hanrahan; and
Rev. Alfred Joseph Manning. The school, which is taught by the Sisters of the Humility of Mary, was built in 1904
by Rev. T. F. Conlon and has an enrollment of 200 students. The present church was built in 1880 by Rt. Rev. Msgr.
Clement H. Treiber, now of Canton, Ohio.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium