The Louthan Manufacturing Company, well known manufacturers of potters' supplies, is among the leading industries
of its kind in Columbiana County. It was organized in 1901 at East Liverpool, and was originally located on Franklin
Street. The founders of the company are B. M. and W. B. Louthan and during the early days of the existence of the
business its products consisted of the manufacture of pins and stilts, used by potters. The business has developed
extensively and they now manufacture pins, stilts, and elemite porcelain, which stands heating and cooling without
cracking. Products manufactured are cores for electric heating; gas mantel rings and burner tips; porcelain heater
plates for electric ranges; radiants and back walls for the radiant fire type of gas heater.
A new and up to date factory was erected by this company in 1913 and is located in the east end of the city. In
1924 the old factory building was closed and all work is now done in the new plant. It is 750x100 feet and is located
on the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The Louthan Manufacturing Company was incorporated in July, 1916, with the following officers : B. M. Louthan,
president; William B. Louthan, vice president and treasurer; and II. S. Russell, secretary. They rank among the
representative and successful business men of East Liverpool.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium