Dr. Collin F. Kinsey, dentist, who is successfully engaged in the practice of his profession at East Liverpool,
is a native of this city. He was born April 15, 1897, and is the son of Wilkie C and Theresa (Marietta) Kinsey.
Wilkie C. Kinsey, a highly esteemed resident of East Liverpool, was born at Georgetown, Pa., May 21, 1876, the
son of Collin Kinsey, also a native of Georgetown, Pa., born Aug. 5, 1854, and died Jan. 17, 1914. The latter was
the son of Henry Kinsey, who was born at Shippingport, Pa., in 1811. He was a pilot on the Ohio River at the age
of 21 years and plied between Pittsburgh and Louisville. He died in 1889 and is buried at Georgetown, Pa. He married
Mary Frazer, also of Shippingport, Pa., a direct descendant of the Poe family. Adam and Andrew Poe are remembered
as having fought near Yellow Creek with the Indian chief, Big. Foot.
Collins Kinsey, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was also a pilot on the Ohio River and later engaged
in the cigar manufacturing business in East Liverpool. His son, Wilkie C. Kinsey, has engaged in the plumbing business
in this city for over 30 years and met with success. He married Miss Theresa Marietta, a native of Germany, born
Feb. 21, 1878. She came to this country with her mother in 1892 and has since lived in East Liverpool. Her mother
also lives here. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilkie C. Kinsey 12 children were born, as folows: Collin F., the subject of this
sketch; Minnie, married John Hyder, lives in East Liverpool; Harry, married Ella Dawson, lives in East Liverpool;
Wilkie, Jr., married Alice Evans, lives in East Liverpool; Donald and Ray, at home; Glen, deceased; Helen, at home;
Albina, deceased; Bobbie, at home; Mary Jane and Ruth G., at home.
Dr. Collin F. Kinsey attended the public schools of East Liverpool and after his graduation from high school in
1916 he entered the employ of the Crucible Steel Company at Midland, Pa., and the following year became connected
with the Pittsburgh Filtration Company as a filtration engineer. He was stationed at the east end filtration plant
in East Liverpool and had charge of the construction of this plant. At the outbreak of the World War he was sent
to Camp Wadsworth, Spartansburg, S. C., to construct a filtration plant in that camp, which was an eight filter
plant. This work was completed in record time, taking less than eight weeks, and Dr. Kinsey was then sent to Camp
Sevier, Greenville, S. C., to construct a huge water tank. He left this work to enter Ohio State University on
Sept. 20, 1918, where he began the study of dentistry. In the spring of 1919 he finished his freshman year and
enlisted in the United States Army and was sent to Camp Sherman, Ohio, Sept. 5th. He served in the 26th Company
7th Training Battalion, 158th Depot Brigade. He contracted influenza and after a severe illness of ten days he
was transferred to a base hospital. He was discharged Dec. 18, 1918, and immediately entered the employ of the
Cleveland & Pittsburgh Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, with whom he remained until the fall of 1919.
He was with the W. N. Sauer Company of Pittsburgh as a steam engineer working on the construction of railroad shops
and was sent to Wellsville, Ohio, to work on boilers in the round shop. In the fall of 1920 he went with Zange
& Bentz, well known plumbers of East Liverpool and in 1921 returned to Ohio State University to complete his
dental course. He received his degree in 1924 and in September of that year established his practice in East Liverpool
with offices in the Little Building. Doctor Kinsey was graduated with honors and was awarded membership in the
honorary dental fraternity, Omicron Kappa Upsilon. He was president of the Men's Pan Hellenic Council, a student
governing body of Ohio State University, and received the highest honors of his class, he was also awarded a membership
in the International Honorary Biological Society of Research, Phi Sigma.
On Oct. 9, 1919, Doctor Kinsey was united in marriage with Miss Mabel Louise Ryder, who was born at Proctor, W.
Va., May 24, 1897, the daughter of Friend and Grace May Bell (Hesht) Hyder. Mr. Ryder was born in West Virginia,
Dec. 7, 1860, and died in 1918. His wife was born in Ohio, Sept. 17, 1861, and she lives in East Liverpool. To
Mr. and Mrs. Ryder, who were married in 1879, the following children were born: Delia, the wife of Albert Ensigner,
East Liverpool; Lulu, married Auther Robson, resides in Sebring, Ohio; John, married Minnie Kinsey, lives in East
Liverpool; Lucinda, deceased; Mabel Kinsey; Alma, lives in East Liverpool; and Fred, lives in East Liverpool. Doctor
and Mrs. Kinsey have three sons: Collin M.; Ronald J., and Dale Edwin.
Doctor Kinsey is identified with the Corydon Palmer Dental Society, the Ohio State Dental Society, American Dental
Association, and the International Dental Association. He is a Republican, a member of the Christian Church, and
belongs to the Masonic Lodge and the Rotary Club. He and his wife have a wide acquaintance in Columbiana County
and are highly esteemed.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium