T. Burton Kerr is well and favorably known in East Liverpool, where he is identified with the Kerr Lumber Company.
He was born at Shippingport, Beaver County, Pa., June 14, 1887, and is the son of Thomas Jefferson and Anna (Siefers)
Thomas Jefferson Kerr was born at Shippingport, Pa., Feb. 26, 1858, and his wife was born in Audrain County, Mo.,
April 3, 1864. He is the son of Michael C. and Nancy Ann (Anderson) Kerr, natives of Beaver County, Pa. The former
was born Feb. 6, 1819, and died in 1901, and the latter was born July 10, 1825, and died in 1910. Mr. Kerr was
a farmer during his entire life. His son, Thomas Jefferson, engaged in farming during the early part of his life
and in 1881 went to Missouri, where he remained for five years, returning to Shippingport, Pa., in 1886 he engaged
in a saw mill and lumber business with his brother, Michael J. In 1897 they moved to East Liverpool, Ohio, where
they engaged in the contracting business, and in 1900 established a small retail lumber business, which has since
developed into one of the largest business institutions in Columbiana County. Since the death of Michael J. Kerr
in 1912 the business has been conducted by Thomas J. Kerr and son, T. Burton.
To Mr. and Mrs. Kerr were born two sons: T. Burton, the subject of this sketch; and Floyd, born July 6, 1896, engaged
in the lumber business here. He married Miss Myrle Fisher, of East Liverpool, and they have a son, William Floyd
T. Burton Kerr attended the public schools of Beaver County, East Liverpool High School, and attended Wooster College.
He has always been interested in the lumber business with his father. For many years the Kerr Lumber Company was
extensively engaged in construction work and among some of the buildings erected by this company are the Elks Club,
Neville and Kiondyke schools, Stein Dry Goods Company building, and the Monroe Apartments. On Jan. 1, 1923, the
company ceased its building operations and has since been dealers in builders supplies exclusively, their slogan
being, "Everything for the Builder." The Kerr Lumber Company occupies five warehouses, its own railroad
switch, and all supplies are unloaded into the warehouses by gravity conveyors. One warehouse is equipped with
an air space under the floor, open at each end, for ventilation, thus keeping the commodities absolutely dry.
On Feb: 26, 1924, Mr. Kerr was married to Miss Mary Williams, a native of East Liverpool, and a daughter of Dr.
Levi O. and Laura (Pritchard) Williams. Dr. Williams is deceased and his wife resides at East Liverpool.
Mr. Kerr is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church and belongs to the Masonic and Elks lodges,
East Liverpool Country Club, Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, and Y. M. C. A.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium