Biography of Dr. Wilbert A. Hobbs
Columbiana County, OH

Dr. Wilbert A. Hobbs, widely known physician and surgeon of East Liverpool and representative citizen of Columbiana County, was born in Hancock County, W. Va., April 14, 1862, and is the son of Hanson and Lydia (Farnsworth) Hobbs.

Both Hanson Hobbs and his wife were born in Hancock County, W. Va. He was the son of Hanson and Mary (Ray) Hobbs, the former a prosperous agriculturist and stone mason of Hancock County, having built the first brick house in that section of the state. Lydia (Farnsworth) Hobbs was the daughter of Silas and Mary (Headington) Farnsworth, both natives of Holidays Cove, W. Va. Silas Farnsworth's father was a Baptist minister and it was from his church that Alexander Campbell seceded and with other parishioners formed the Christian Church. To Hanson and Lydia (Farnsworth) Hobbs the following children were born: Mary F., deceased, was the wife of O. W. Harvey, lives in West Virginia; Wilbert A., the subject of this sketch; and H. F., married Dora Stewart and they had two children, Wilbert and Adelia Hobbs. By a second marriage to B. A. Geer, of West Virginia, Mrs. Hanson Hobbs had two children: Asa and Carrie Geer.

After completing his schooling in the public schools of Hancock County, W. Va., Wilbert A. Hobbs attended the University of Michigan, from which he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1884. He immediately established his practice at North Benton, Ohio, but three years later located at Mineral Ridge as a mine surgeon, where he remained for four years. In 1891 Doctor Hobbs removed to East Liverpool, where he has since practiced his profession in a most successful manner.

On Feb. 22, 1887, Doctor Hobbs was united in marriage with Miss Elsie A. Hoover, of North Benton, Ohio, and the daughter of Dr. C. M. and Sarah (Miller) Hoover, both deceased and buried at Alliance, Ohio. Doctor Hoover was a leading physician and surgeon of North Benton for a number of years. Doctor and Mrs. Hobbs have two daughters: (1) Ethelyn, born at Mineral Ridge, Ohio, was graduated from Wellesley College and the University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany, married Frank C Williams, of New Castle, Pa., and they live at Ingram, Pa., where he is superintendent of the Open Hearth Furnace Company. They have five children: Wilbert, Frank, Stephen, Chalmers, and Eleanor, who died at the age of three years. (2) Gertrude, born in East Liverpool, was graduated from East Liverpool High School, Drexel College, Philadelphia, and is now a senior at Columbia University, New York City.

Doctor Hobbs is identified with the Columbiana County Medical Society, the Ohio State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association. He was elected a fellow of the American College of Surgeons on Nov. 16, 1914. He is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church, and belongs to the Masonic Lodge, East Liverpool Chapter R. A. M. No. 100, Pilgrim Commandery K. T. No. 55, and the Al Koran Shrine, Cleveland. Doctor Hobbs served in the Spanish-American War as a major and for many years was captain of the 8th Regiment, O. N. G.

History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka-Indianapolis 1926

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies

Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z



New York

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012