Frank R. Harrison, M. D., L. L. D., one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of East Liverpool and a leading
member of the medical profession in Columbiana County, was born at Barleston, Staffordshire, England, Aug. 13,
1879, the son of John and Agnes Ellen (Morgan) Harrison.
John Harrison, deceased, was born in Staffordshire, Eng., Aug. 4, 1851, the son of Charles and Harriet (Beard)
Harrison. Charles Harrison served as general manager of the Thomas Turnval & Sons Pottery Company at Cobridge,
England, for 38 years. John Harrison was apprenticed to E. F. Bodley & Company, of Burslem, to learn decorating,
and as part of his apprenticeship took a course in the Hanley Art School. Having a talent for the work he made
rapid advancement and was soon at the top of his profession. In January, 1884, he came to East Liverpool and entered
the employ of James Baum, contract decorator. He was the first man to print gold on crockery in this country. He
served as foreman of the Union Potteries Company, and after four years with this concern accepted the position
of foreman at the Sebring pottery. He was there seven years and with the East Liverpool Potteries Company two years,
when he severed his connected with the business and returned to England for a visit. Upon his return in 1902 he
accepted the position as superintendent of the decorating department of the William Brunt Pottery Company. At the
time of his retirement in 1913 he was foreman of C. C. Thompson's plant. Mr. Harrison died Dec. 18, 1914, and his
wife died Dec. 3, 1923. She was born at Cobridge, England, June 11, 1853, the daughter of John and Mary (Burkin)
Morgan. Her father was the "landed squire" of the Barleston Estates at Barleston, Staffordshire, England.
To Mr. and Mrs. John Harrison three children were born: Dr. Charles John was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania
in 1901, served with the Canadian army during the World War, lives at Akron, Ohio; Frank R., the subject of this
sketch; and S. Morgan, lives at Sharon, Pa., where he is assistant master mechanic in the Farrell Mills of the
U. S. Steel Corporation.
Frank R. Harrison received his early education at East Liverpool and was graduated from the Medical School of the
University of Pennsylvania in June, 1900. He spent the following year as an interne in charge of the Women's Department
of Charity Hospital, Philadelphia, and since 1901 has engaged in the practice of his profession in East Liverpool.
On June 21, 1921 he received the L. L. D. degree from the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Duquesne.
In 1903 Dr. Harrison was united in marriage with Miss Mary v. Campbell of East Liverpool, the daughter of John
and Anne (Darrah) Campbell. Mr. Campbell is deceased and his wife resides in East Liverpool. To Dr. and Mrs. Harrison
have been born five children as follows: Frank R., Jr., born July 10, 1904, was graduated from Duquesne University
in 1922, now a student in the Medical School, University of Pennsylvania; Mary Claire, born Sept. 29, 1906, was
graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1924, a student at Sexton Hill College, Greensburg, Pa.; Betty Frances,
born Dec. 27, 1908; Ruth Reginae, born Jan. 6, 1911; and John Richard, born Nov. 10, 1914.
In politics Dr. Harrison is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Catholic Church, Knights
of Columbus, Elks Lodge and Lion's Club. He was president of the Pittsburgh Club and president of the Medical Department
of the Newman Club. The Harrison family have always been progressive, public spirited, and citizens of real worth.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium