Charles W. Harris, prominent pioneer business man and representative citizen of Columbiana County, is a native
of Salem. He was born April 24, 1845, and is the son of Dr. John and Mary (Trescott) Harris.
Dr. John Harris, son of Jacob Harris, was a member of one of the early families of Pennsylvania. He was born in
Adams County, Pa., in 1808, and in 1839 accompanied his parents to Ohio. Shortly afterward he began the study of
medicine in the office of Dr. Benjamin Stanton at Salem, and later entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati.
He practiced medicine at Salem until 1855 and then became interested in dentistry, which he followed until 1869
when he established the well known printing business now conducted by his son. He died in 1879 and his wife died
in 1881. She was the daughter of Samuel C. and Sophia (Lane) Triscott, members of the Connecticut colony which
settled in the Western Reserve when that section was claimed by Connecticut. Two Sons were born to Doctor and Mrs.
Harris: Augustus H., who died in January, 1903; and Charles W., the subject of this sketch.
Doctor Harris was a very prominent citizen of Salem, serving many times as its mayor and being identified for years
with its educational interests. In religious belief he was a Quaker and was one of the agents of the "underground
railroad", that mysterious system of transportation by which slaves were assisted to freedom.
Charles W. Harris was reared and educated in Salem and in early manhood turned his attention to civil engineering,
and thus became connected with the Pennsylvania canal, with headquarters at Harrisburg. In 1876 he returned to
Salem and in association with his brother, Augustus H., conducted the printing business established by his father
in 1869. Harris & Company is one of the largest industries of its kind in Ohio and specializes in the printing
of labels. Numbered among its clientele are the following firms: Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company; Crucible Steel
Company of America; McKinney Mfg. Co., Pittsburgh; Griffin Mfg. Co., Erie; and Atlas Tack Corporation, St. Louis.
On May 7, 1874, Mr. Harris was married in Dauphin County, Pa., to Miss Maria D. Greenwalt, a native of that place.
They have five children: Mary T., deceased; C. D., associated in business with his father, was married to Marie
McDonald of South Bend, Ind., and they have a daughter, Virginia; Frank G., married Grace McConnell, lives in Salem;
Augustus E., lives in East Liverpool, married Fanny Haldeman, and they have two children, Marjorie and Janice;
and Edna E., deceased.
Mr. Harris is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium