Frank J. Hanlon is a progressive business man of East Liverpool, where he is proprietor of Hanlon's Grinding
& Machine Shop. He was born at Port Washington, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1885, the son of Michael
E. and Elizazbeth (Getmann) Hanlon.
Michael E. Hanlon was born at Wellsville, Ohio, Jan. 1, 1865. At an early age he learned the machinist's trade,
at which he was employed practically his entire life. He died Oct. 20, 1921, and is buried in the Catholic cemetery,
Wellsville. His wife, who was born at Port Washington, Ohio, May 22, 1860, resides at Wellsville. To Mr. and Mrs.
Hanlon were born eight children, as follows: Frank J., the subject of this sketch; John, born in 1887, employed
by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Wellsville; Ellen, married William S. McHugh, lives in Cleveland; Charles, employed
by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Wellsville; Thomas, born Aug. 2, 1895, enlisted with the Rainbow Division, 42nd
Division, was a member of Company E, 166th Infantry, and was killed in action, Aug. 2, 1918, is buried in France;
Mary, married Harry N. Dawson, lives in East Liverpool; William, lives at Wellsville; and George, born in 1903,
lives at Wellsville. He enlisted in the army after the armistice and was in service for 18 months.
Frank J. Hanlon received his education in the parochial schools of Wellsville and when a young man learned the
machinist trade in. the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad, at Allegheny, Pa. In 1904 he went with the Mesta Machine
Company of West Homestead, Pa., but later returned to the Pennsylvania Railroad and was employed at Fort Wayne,
Ind. In 1908 Mr. Hanlon was transferred by the company to WelIsville, and the following year he became connected
with the East Liverpool Traction and Light Company as a machinist, in whose employ he remained until 1918. He then
went with the Stevenson Company of Wellsville and in 1921 engaged in business at Wellsville. In April, 1923, the
business was removed to East Liverpool. Hanlon's Grinding & Machine Shop is electrically equipped throughout
and is equipped to do cylinder grinding and practically all automobile work of that nature. Mr. Hanlon's shop operates
a cylinder grinder, shaper, lathe, drill press, piston grinder, bearing machines, and electric score filler.
On Nov. 26, 1906, Mr. Hanlon was united in marriage with Miss Martha E. Waitmire, of Hayes, Pa., the daughter of
Joseph and Elizabeth Waltmire. Mr. Waltmire is deceased and his wife resides at East LiverpooL Mr. and Mrs. Hanlon
have no children.
In politics Mr. Hanlon is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church,
East Liverpool and is a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Al Koran Shrine, Cleveland.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium