Rev. R. P. Gibbons, pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Leetonia, is among the highly
esteemed and influential citizens of Columbiana County. He was born in Cleveland, April 28, 1884, and is the son
of John P. and Ellen (O'Connor) Gibbons.
John P. Gibbons, who lives retired in Cleveland, was connected with the Sherwin-Williams Company of that city as
division superintendent during his active career. Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons have the following children: Mary Ellen,
a sister of Charity, Cleveland; R. P., the subject of this sketch; Julia and Bernard, both at home.
Rev. R. P. Gibbons received his early education at Cathedral School and St. Ignatius College, Cleveland. He then
attended St. Bernard's Seminary, Rochester, N. Y., and was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1911. He served
as chaplain at the Old Soldiers' Home, Sandusky, Ohio, for one year, as assistant pastor at St. Mary's Church,
Akron, Ohio, and was connected with St. Columba's Church, Youngstown, Ohio, for six years. Father Gibbons has been
identified with St. Patrick's Church, Leetonia, as pastor since March 23, 1923.
A new school building was erected by the church in 1924 at a cost of $38,000. The enrollment is 225 students. Work
in this undertaking, as well as other church improvements, was carried on by the tireless efforts of Father Gibbons.
An early history of St. Patrick's Catholic Church follows.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium