John S. George, of East Palestine, is a veteran of the World War and one of Columbiana County's prominent young
men. He was born in East Liverpool, June 28, 1893, the son of William S. and Annie S. (Campbell) George.
William Shaw George, deceased, was during his lifetime one of the representative business men of this section.
He was born on a farm near East Liverpool, March 21, 1865, the son of William S. and Mary (Cavett) George. The
father was a farmer in early life but later became interested in the pottery business in East Liverpool, where
he spent the remainder of his life. In 1897 his son, William Shaw, removed to East Palestine, where he engaged
in the pottery business. His industrial career was a phenomenal one. After his arrival in East Palestine in 1897
he was a decorator for the Ohio China Company but the following year engaged in business for himself, taking over
the management of the East Palestine Pottery Company, which is now known as Plant No. 4 of the W. S. George chain
of potteries. In his first year in business the company's pay roll was $52,000, and it has grown in leaps and bounds
until the annual pay roll is now approximately $1,122,000.00. Besides plants No. 1 and No. 4 in this city, Mr.
George owned plant No. 2 at Canonsburg and plant No. 3 at Kittaning, making a total of 33 glost and bisque kilns
and 36 decorating kilns. Mr. George died April 12, 1925.
On Aug. 30, 1887, Mr. George was married to Miss Annie S. Campbell of Philadelphia, who died in January, 1921.
They were the parents of the following children: William Campbell, lives in East Palestine; Mrs. J. L. Adams, lives
at Asheville, N. C.; John S., the subject of this sketch; Frank Cavett, lives at Kittanning, Pa.; Mrs. Dorothy
Woodard, lives at Asheville, N. C.; Lois, Robert, Janet, and William Shaw, Jr., all of East Palestine.
Mr. George was a member of the United Presbyterian Church and for many years had been a member of the session of
his church. He was a trustee of the University of Cairo, Egypt, and of the George Memorial Hospital, Abyssinia.
In memory of his mother and his wife he was the donor of the hospital that bears his name. He served on the council
in East Liverpool and on the board of education of East Palestine for a number of years, taking a deep interest
in all matters that came to his official notice.
John S. George received his education in the schools of East Palestine and also attended University School, Cleveland.
He served throughout the World War as a member of the 278th Aero Squadron and spent 12 months in active service
in France. Mr. George is actively connected with the pottery business which was founded by his father.
On June 20, 1917, Mr. George was united in marriage with Miss Hazelle Tevebaugh, a native of Missouri. They have
a daughter, Ann Stewart George, born April 25, 1918.
Mr. George is a Republican and a member of the United Presbyterian Church. The George family have always been leading
citizens of the community and are well liked and widely known.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium