W. H. Gamble, a prominent druggist of East Liverpool, is a member of one of the old and well established families
of Columbiana County. He was born in this city, July 19, 1879, and is a son of John and Mary (Manley) Gamble.
John Gamble was born in Canada, the son of Robert Gamble, who came to this country from Belfast, Ireland, in 1830.
He spent some time in Canada and died at Canal Dover, Ohio His son, John, one of East Liverpool's leading business
men, learned the brick layer's trade at the age of 13 years and when 17 years old became a building contractor
in partnership with Harry Surles, at one time postmaster of East Liverpool. Later he conducted a brick yard with
Will Surles on the present site of the china works at Minerva and Huston streets. Mr. Gamble later sold his interest
and is at present a member of the firm of J. E. Gamble & Company, brick contractors. They have built more pottery
kilns than any other concern in the United States, and Mr. Gamble has also had extensive business interests in
Canada. He has also built some of the finest business buildings and residences in this city.
Mary (Manley) Gamble was born in East Liverpool and is a daughter of Holland and Mary (Cartwright) Manley, who
came to this country from England and settled in East Liverpool, where he worked at his trade as a potter. Later
with his brother in law, William and Samuel Cartwright, Mr. Manley founded the Manley-Cartwright Pottery Company.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Manley are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. John Gamble were born five children: W. H., the subject
of this sketch; Bessie, resides with her parents; E. L., a playwright, is also engaged in the drug business with
his brother; Gladys, married Dr. Leon Lemmon, a physician of Cleveland, Ohio; and Grace, married Ernest Howard,
an engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad, lives at Wellsville, Ohio.
W. H. Gamble was graduated from the public schools of East Liverpool and from the School of Pharmacy, University
of Pittsburgh, in 1901. He is a registered pharmacist in both Ohio and Pennsylvania. After leaving school he spent
some time at Rochester and McKeesport, Pa., later coming to East Liverpool where he was associated with Charles
Craig, druggist. In 1904 Mr. Gamble became a member of the drug firm of W. C. Lynch and Laben Wilson. He later
became sole owner and the business is known as Gamble's Drug Store, and is located at 401 Market Street. This business
was established in 1884 by A. H. Fleming, and later sold to W. W. Robinson. It was formerly located on East Fourth
In 1905 Mr. Gamble was married to Miss Mary C. Aten, native of Wellsville, Ohio, and a daughter of Henry and Lydia
(Dever) Aten, both deceased. They have three children: Marion, deceased; Helen, a student at East Liverpool High
School; and Dorothy.
Mr. Gamble is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church, and one of East Liverpool's representative
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium