James E. Davis, a prominent attorney of East Liverpool, who has been successfully engaged in the practice of
his profession for 23 years, is a native of Ohio. He was born on a farm six miles from East Liverpool, near Calcutta,
Oct. 13, 1874, and is the son of Jeb L. and Margaret (McFarland) Davis.
Jeb L. Davis, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He was born in Kentucky and followed general farming during
his entire life. He served throughout the Civil War with Company E, 22nd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry and received
the rank of corporal. Mr. and Mrs. Davis settled in Columbiana County at an early date and they are both now deceased
and buried in Riverview Cemetery, East Liverpool. Their only child was James E., the subject of this sketch.
After attending the schools of St. Clair Township, Columbiana County, James E. Davis entered Mount Hope Academy,
which was conducted by Prof. A. Y. Taylor, and which later burned. He also was graduated from Northeastern Ohio
Normal University, Canfield, Ohio, and from Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio, in the class of 1901. The same
year he read law with Judge L. T. Farr, at Rogers, Ohio. Mr. Davis established his practice in East Liverpool in
1902 and now ranks among the representative attorneys of this section of the state. He is identified with the Columbiana
County Bar Association, the Federal Courts, the Ohio State Bar, the Southern Columbiana Bar Association, and the
Ohio State Bar Association.
In 1899 Mr. Davis was united in marriage with Miss Mary Houston, of Calcutta, Ohio, and they have a daughter, Helen,
who resides in East Liverpool.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium