Charles Brown, mayor of East Liverpool and representative citizen of Columbiana County, was born in New York,
Sept. 16, 1870, and is the son of John and Annie Brown, both deceased.
Charles Brown attended the public and high schools of West Richfield, Ohio, and began his business career in Akron,
in the employ of the Akron Grocery Company. He later entered Doane Academy, Granville, Ohio, from which he was
graduated in 1894. After spending two years at Dennison University, he was forced to give up his college career
on account of ill health, and in 1897 again became connected with the Akron Grocery Company. In 1898 he came to
East Liverpool as a representative of the W. F. Davidson Wholesale Grocery Company. Later he was connected with
the Mosel-Johnson Company and for the past 12 years has represented the Greene-Babcock Wholesale Grocery Company
In 1923 Mr. Brown was elected mayor of East Liverpool by the largest majority ever given a candidate for that office.
He had previously served as a member of the city council, and as its president for two terms.
During the administration of Mayor Charles Brown, the City of East Liverpool enjoyed a term of prosperity. Many
improvements were made which added much toward making the city a more beautiful city. Many new cement sidewalks
were constructed, and old street pavements were resurfaced. The work was started for widening West Eighth Street,
coming from Wellsville, an improvement costing the county and city about $70,000. A new fire truck was bought,
also many improvements were made in the fire department. About 2,000 feet of new fire hose and many other items
were purchased to improve the department. A new police patrol was bought, electric traffic lights were installed
in place of the old oil lanterns. The police received a raise in salary.
When Mayor Charles Brown entered the office as mayor he found $6,300 of unpaid bills, three or more years old.
These were paid during his administration. He collected about $41,000 in fines and license fees during his two
years' term, making a record of the largest fines ever collected in one term.
Mayor Charles Brown truly gave a good business administration, taking much interest in the welfare of East Liverpool
and making a much cleaner city to live in.
In 1897 Mr. Brown was married to Miss Sarah Wells, the daughter of David and Margaret (Bardgsley) Wells, both deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Brown are active members of the First Baptist Church, of which he has been trustee and deacon, and
he has served as Sunday School superintendent and teacher for many years. He is a Republican and belongs to the
I. O. O. F., No. 379, East Liverpool, Past Noble Grand and Past District Deputy; East Liverpool Camp No. 107, Past
Patriarch; Canton Rhoades No. 73, Past Major; United Order of Splendor and Perfection Sanctorium No. 231; Riddle
F. & A. M. No. 315, Past Worshipful Master; Past High Priest of East Liverpool Chapter No. 100, R. A. M.; Past
Thrice Illustrious Master of Keramos Council No. 95, R. & S. M.; Past Commander Pilgrim Commandery No. 55,
K. T.; Member of Lodge of Perfection at Steubenville, Ohio; Lake Erie Consistory, 32nd degree Cleveland; Member
Al Koran Shrine, Cleveland.
Mr. Brown is a capable and popular official, and is intensely interested in every movement for civic improvement.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium