Millard E. Blythe, cashier of The Community Bank, is a veteran of the World War and one of the reliable young
business men of East Liverpool. He was born in this city, July 22, 1888, and is the son of H. H. and Mellie (Kenney)
Blythe, natives of East Liverpool.
H. H. Blythe, cashier of the Citizens National Bank, is among the prominent and substantial business men of this
section. He began his business career in the First National Bank and is one of the organizers of the Citizens National
Bank, having served as its cashier since its opening. He is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church
and belongs to the Masonic Lodge. Mrs. Blythe is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. They had
three children: William, born in August, 1884, died in 1921, and is buried in Riverview Cemetery; Millard E., the
subject of this sketch; and Margaret, twin sister of Millard, married Gilbert Follansbee, of Pittsburgh, and they
reside in Steubenville, Ohio, where he is superintendent of the Toronto plant of the Follansbee Steel Company.
Millard E. Blythe attended the public and high schools of East Liverpool and was graduated from Culver Military
Academy in 1907. He was connected with the Citizens National Bank and later with the East Liverpool Publishing
Company as cashier and advertising manager. In April, 1917, he enlisted in the U. S. army and attended the First
Officers Training School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, being one of the first to enlist from East Liverpool. He was
commissioned a first lieutenant, sent to Camp Sherman and later to Camp Sheridan, Montgomery, Alabama. As a member
of Company A, 134th Machine Gun Company, 37th Division, he attended the machine gun school, after which he was
transferred to Camp Lee, Va., and later to France. He participated in four major engagements and was commissioned
captain on Feb. 22, 1919. While in France he was transferred to Company L, 148th Infantry. He was discharged May
12, 1919. After the close of the war Mr. Blythe engaged in the bond business and in October, 1924, was made cashier
of the Community Bank.
On Nov. 25, 1925 Mr. Blythe was married to Miss Esther G. Ankrim, a daughter of S. Proctor and Anna L. (Graham)
Ankrim. A sketch of whom appears in this volume.
Mr. Blythe is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church, is affiliated with the Masonic and Elk lodges,
and belongs to the Shrine, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the East Liverpool Country Club. He has
a wide acquaintance and the Blythe family is representative of the best citizenship of Columbiana County.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium