Dr. Charles H. Bailey, a widely known physician and surgeon of Columbiana County, who is successfully engaged
in the practice of his profession at East Liverpool, is a veteran of the World War. He was born at Harrisburg,
Pa., Oct. 14, 1882, and is the son of M. C. and Agnes Cameron (Murdock) Bailey.
M. C. Bailey, deceased, was a native of Sandy Lake, Pa., and a son of William N. Bailey, one of the early farmers
of that section. M. C. Bailey was a graduate of Westminster College, Princeton University, and Westminster Theological
Seminary. He was a minister of the Presbyterian Church and died at Uniontown, Pa. in 1894. His wife died the same
year. She was the daughter of M. C. and Susan K. Murdock, natives of Scotland and Connecticut, respectively. To
Reverend and Mrs. Bailey were born two children: Charles H., the subject of this sketch; and Lillian, married Major
F. A. Mountford, U. S. A., Fort Monroe, Va. He was graduated from West Point Academy in 1909 and served throughout
the World War. He received the Distinguished Service Medal.
Dr. Charles H. Bailey graduated from Wooster College in 1904 with the degree of A. B., and received his degree
as Doctor of Medicine from the University of Michigan in 1908. He came to East Liverpool in 1911 and until 1916
was engaged in general practice. Since 1920 he has specialized in surgery.
In June, 1917, Dr. Bailey volunteered for service during the World War and was commissioned a first lieutenant
in the Medical Corps at Fort Benjamin Harrison. He was assigned to the 336th Ambulance Company, 84th Division,
and in 1918, before sailing for France, was commissioned a captain. Upon its arrival in France the Division was
made a replacement division and Dr. Bailey became a casual officer. He was attached to Field Hospital No. 33, which
was functioning as an evacuation hospital. After the armistice he was chief of the surgical service in camp hospital
No. 66 at San Sulpice, France. After his arrival in the United States he was assigned to the surgeon general's
office at Washington, D. C. He was discharged Nov. 1, 1919, with the rank of major. Dr. Bailey is now a major in
the medical officers' reserve corps.
In 1920 Dr. Bailey was married to Miss Sara Thompson, of East Liverpool, the daughter of John C. and Charlotte
(Everson) Thompson, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. Mr. Thompson, who lives retired,
is president of the First National Bank of East Liverpool.
Dr. Bailey is identified with the Columbiana County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Association, American Medical
Association, and the Pittsburgh Academy of Medicine. He is a Republican, a member of the Republican central committee,
and the Republican central executive committee. He holds membership in the Duquesne Club of Pittsburgh, East Liverpool
Country Club, Rotary Club, American Legion, Medical Veterans of the World War, Association of Military Surgeons
of the United States, and the Sigma Chi and Theta Nu Epsilon fraternities. Dr. Bailey is a member of the Presbyterian
Church and a progressive man in his profession.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium