S. Proctor Ankrim, proprietor of the Ceramic City Cafeteria, is a popular business man of East Liverpool. He
was born in Grand View Township, Washington County, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1870, and is the son of Owen F. and Gabriel
Owen F. Ankrim was a native of Washington County, Ohio, as was his wife. He spent his entire career on the Ohio
River on boats plying between Pittsburgh and New Orleans. To Mr. and Mrs. Ankrim, deceased, three sons were born:
John W., died at Danville, Ill.; Adrian, lives at East Liverpool; and S. Proctor, the subject of this sketch.
S. Proctor Ankrim spent his boyhood in Grand View Township, Washington County, and began life as a farmer. He later
learned the pottery trade in East Liverpool and in 1893 was appointed shop foreman at the Vodrey Pottery Company,
in whose employ he remained for 22 years. On March 1, 1918, Mr. Antrim was unanimously elected manager of the Columbiana
County Dry League, which position he filled for three years. In 1921 he engaged in the cafeteria business with
A. C. Palmer, and in July, 1925, became sole owner of the business. It is one of the high grade restaurants of
the city and enjoys a large patronage.
In 1891 Mr. Ankrim was united in marriage with Miss Anna L. Graham of Allegheny, Pa., the daughter of John and
Esther (McGowan) Graham, both deceased. Mr. Graham was a Civil War veteran. Mrs. Ankrim died Feb. 12, 1924, leaving
two daughters: Mildred, attended East Liverpool High School and Bethany College; and Esther G., who was educated
in East Liverpool High School and Mount Union College. She is the wife of Millard E. Blythe, a stetch of whom appears
in this volume.
Mr. Ankrim is a member of the Methodist Church, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Malta.
He is a Republican and rants among the substantial citizens of Columbiana County.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium