E. H. Althouse, owner and manager of the Studebaker Garage, Pershing Avenue, Salem, is among the prominent and
successful young business men of this section. He was born Aug. 25, 1891, near Salem, and is a son of John and
Ella Oesch Althouse. The father was a pioneer farmer of Columbiana County and now lives retired.
E. H. Althouse received his education in the Vernal Grove school, and then farmed with his father until he was
22 years of age. In August, 1923, Mr. Althouse purchased the business and building he now occupies from E. E. Morgan.
He at once built two modern apartments above. The building is a modern fire proof brick building, erected at a
cost of $35,000. The garage is 45x125, and is one of the largest in Columbiana County. Mr. Althouse sells about
80 new Studebaker cars a year. He is also agent for the International Trucks. He employs eight people.
Mr. Althouse built a garage in Winona and another in Damascus before coming to Salem. He has now an addition almost
completed 45 x 160 with two modern five room apartments above and storage garage below. The cost of this new garage
is about $30,000.
On Aug. 9, 1913, Mr. Althouse was married to Miss Marie Camp, a daughter of Lee and Minta Camp of Winona. They
have two children, Donald and Clifford.
Mr. Althouse is independent in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, U. C. T. and Kiwanis Club.
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
By: Harold B. Barth
Historical Publishing Company
Columbiana County, Ohio Biographies
Names A to F
Names G to M
Names N to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium