WILLIAM McCUDDY, dealer in stoves and tinware, Springfield. This is one of the old reliable business houses
of the city, the business having been established prior to 1837, by Mr C Cavileer, deceased. Mr. McCuddy is a native
of Clark County, born Oct 20, 1828; is a son of William and Catharine (Kizer) McCuddy. William was a Kentuckian
by birth, but came to this county when a young man; his wife was a native of this county, a daughter of Philip
Kizer, who came from the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, at an early day and settled in German Township. He made the
trip with his family and outfit with ox teams, cutting the road most of the way from Columbus. He entered and owned.
a large tract of land including the site of the present town of Tremont, and built a flour mill, which was the
first constructed in that vicinity. He was an officer in the militia in the war of 1812, and belonged to the better
and more thrifty class of pioneers. Raised a large family, most of whom are deceased or moved to other States.
Mr. McCuddy's father was a tanner by trade, and had a yard and carried on the business in Springfield a number
of years; subsequently sold out and purchased a farm in Harmony Township, to which he removed, and, in addition
to his farming, conducted a tannery on his farm. The subject of this sketch learned the house carpenter's trade
when a boy, and subsequently carried on business here a number of years, but, on account of injuries, abandoned
his trade, and was afterward engaged in the lumber trade here about ten years. Then became connected with A. Cavileer
(since deceased), in his present business. Since the decease of his partner, in 1879, he has continued the business
alone. His stock of stoves includes all desirable styles, and his reliability, with the well known reputation of
the house, secures a large trade. He makes a specialty of tin spouting, employs experienced workmen, and is doing
a large business in this line. He married, in 1855, Miss Rachel, daughter of Charles Cavileer, who was one of the
most enterprising business men of early days, whose residence was at the northwest corner of East High and Spring
streets, where his widow, now 85 years of age, with her three unmarried daughters, now resides. From this union
Mr. McCuddy has one son - William H., who is now assisting in the store. It will be seen that both Mr. and Mrs.
McCuddy are descendants of prominent pioneer families, and Mr. McCuddy is an active business man and enterprising
citizen, and takes pleasure in assisting to secure a history of the events and circumstances with which his ancestors
History of Clark County, Ohio
W. H. Beers & Co.
Clark County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium