ROBERT M. KENNEY, miller and coal dealer, Springfield; is a son of Elam Kenney, who was a native of Kentucky,
born at the present site of Paris in 1804. His father removed from Kentucky in the year 1808. On account of his
objections to slavery, he desired to raise his family in the atmosphere of freedom, and accordingly came to Ohio
and settled in the vicinity of Springfield, on the now Clifton Pike. Here Elam grew to manhood, learned the blacksmith's
trade, and first commenced business for himself on the lot on Main street now occupied by Humphreys & Carter's
tin store. After his marriage with Charlotte Maskill, this same site became his residence. Mrs. Kenney's parents
were among the early settlers of Harmony Township, but subsequently sold out and removed to Union County. About
the time of his marriage, Mr. Kenney engaged in the livery business, which he soon after sold out, and having invested
his means in real estate retired from active labor, and devoted his attention to his property interests until his
decease, which occurred in November, 1872. His wife and two children survived him. Mrs. H. J. Creighton is a daughter.
Robert M., who had come to look after the property to a large extent previous to his father's death, now took charge,
and, in 1876, opened a coal yard on Washington street, between Factory and Mechanic streets, and has established
a desirable trade. In 1878, he purchased the necessary machinery and fitted up a custom flour mill, which he now
operates, and is also a member of the firm of Kenney & Minnich, manufacturers of novelties. He resides with
his mother at 80 West Jefferson street. She is now in her 70th year, and has moved but once since she began domestic
life in 1840.
History of Clark County, Ohio
W. H. Beers & Co.
Clark County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium