SAMUEL COOPER, retired merchant, Springfield; is a native of Ireland, born in County Antrim Sept. 18, 1877.
In March, 1828, he left Belfast in the sail ship James Baily, bound for St. Andre, where his party arrived after
a voyage of forty six days, and. after a short stay, took passage on board a coaling vessel and came to Philadelphia;
the following winter was spent in the woods of Cumberland Co., N. J., he being associated with a New Yorker in
chopping wood for coaleries, during which they " kept bath " in a cabin hastily constructed by themselves;
as soon as spring opened, he returned to Philadelphia; having learned to weave Irish linen in the old country,
he soon found an opportunity to take a loom with a family who were weavers; the following year, a gentleman with
whom he had boarded, who had relatives in Cincinnati and Dayton, induced him to come to Ohio, and they came to
Dayton via Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, where he remained about three years, when he came to Springfield the year
made memorable as the year of the "falling stars;" here he opened a clothing store in partnership with
Samuel McPherson; in a few years, Mr. Cooper bought his partner's interest and became sole proprietor, and also
owner of the building and ground, which he still owns, now occupied as a hardware store by Mr. McCord. He married,
in 1839, Minerva Ellen Perrin; she has borne him two daughters, one of whom, now Mrs. Frank J. Grave, is living.
Mrs. Cooper is a daughter of John Perrin, an early resident of Springfield Township, his farm being just south
of the present city limits. Mr. Cooper is a representative of that thrifty class of Irishmen who had intelligence
and principle, and, although he landed in this country a poor man, by his industry and integrity he secured friends
and opportunities, and, by economy and judicious management, had in a few years accumulated enough to become a
partner in a store in Springfield; like others of his class, he was shrewd enough to early secure real estate,
and began housekeeping in his own house, and now owns a handsome residence at the southwest corner of Clifton and
Gallagher streets, and owns a considerable amount of city property, the rents from which afford a convenient income,
and secures comfort and ease to his declining years. He has been active in religious matters, having been a Sunday
school teacher from his youth until his age precluded further service. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cooper have been members
of the Presbyterian Church from childhood, and are among the oldest and most respected families of the city.
History of Clark County, Ohio
W. H. Beers & Co.
Clark County, Ohio
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium