Biography of Andrew C. Black
Springfield, Clark County, OH Biographies





ANDREW C. BLACK, merchant and capitalist, Springfield; was born in North Ireland in 1828; came to Springfield in 1847 and engaged as clerk with his brother, Robert T., who was then operating a general merchandise store. In 1853, he bought out his brother, and has continued in business ever since; the general store has become a dry goods and carpet store, and the firm was Black Bros. & Co., composed of A. C., W. M. and J. K. Black, W. M. being a younger brother, and J. K. being a cousin; they are located in Black's Opera House Block, northwest corner of Main and Market streets. Mr. Blacks came to Springfield without means, and, by industry, economy and judicious management, he soon succeeded in becoming the head of one of the best mercantile establishments in Springfield, and has kept pace with the growth of the city, and is now one of its most substantial citizens. Black's Opera House Block, built by him in 1868, and now being somewhat remodeled, will long remain a fitting testimonial of his liberal enterprise. He was one of the company who established Fern Cliff Cemetery, has been a Director of the Springfield Savings Bank since its organization, and is now Vice President. Mr. Black is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, and a supporter of all charitable and benevolent enterprises. He married, in 1860, Miss Octavia C., daughter of Dr. John Briggs, of Greenville, Parke Co.; from this union have been born four children, the younger two of whom are living; Annie and Warder S.

From:
History of Clark County, Ohio
W. H. Beers & Co.
Chicago 1881


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Clark County, Ohio
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012