Thayer, James, the son of Simeon Thayer, the pioneer, was born May 29, 1810 (died January 8, 1881), and married
Zenecia, daughter of Allen Bassett, of Barrington, by whom he had six children: James A., Emma, Laura, Fanny, Mary
and one who died in infancy. James Thayer is remembered as having been one of the best farmers and one of the foremost
men of the town of Milo. James A. Thayer, who succeeded his father in the ownership of the farm, was born in Milo,
April, 26, 1843, educated in the common schools and Prof. Ayres' select school, also at the Penn Yan Academy, and
at the age of sixteen began teaching winter school, continuing for eight years. In 1867 he married Allie, daughter
of James Lawrence, of Milo, by whom he had one child, May, the wife of H. E. Huie, of Springfield, Mass. Mrs. Thayer
died September 22, 1884, and in January, 1886, Mr. Thayer married Nellie S. Huie, of Rushville, N. Y., by whom
he has one child, Zenecia. He is one of the most progressive and successful farmers of Milo, having been honored
several times with positions of trust and importance. He was clerk of the board of supervisors in 1883-84, school
commissioner of Yates County from 1885 to 1891. For a number of years he has been president of the County Teacher's
Association, is now a director of the Farmer's Alliance Insurance Co., and for several years served as secretary
of the Yates County Agricultural Society. He is a prominent member of the M. E. Church and for three years was
superintendent of its Sunday school.
History of Yates County, N. Y.
with illustrations and biographical sketches
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Edited by: Lewis Cass Aldrich
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1892
Yates County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium